E-bay and Radio Shack Scanners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioMarkW

Well, I see a LOT of NEW Radio Shack scanners on e-bay and several seem like a good deal. Especialy the pro-96/2096 of which i am looking to buy.

But they are still a lot of money, so I have some questions.......

WHERE do these people get these scanners from? Does GRE or Radio Shack wholesale to these dealers?

Does Radio Shack or GRE honor the warranties from these radios?

Some listings show the warranties and say they will be honored by Radio Shack, but I wonder........

Has anybody here tested the warranty from a E-Bay purchase?

Food for thought!

Regards,

mark

hsdtech

Ask these questions to the ebay seller and see what kind of response you get. Look at their feedback and use paypal in case you have a problem.

cnmsales

Well I cant atest for anyone else but I purchased my RS Pro-2051 from ebay brand new for 100 bucks when it was going for 150 at RS. I havent had a single problem with mine. As for the warranty if its still wrapped up in the wrap I dont see how RS couldnt honour it as long as your reg it when you get it. As far as actually getting the item you thought you were getting I would def buy with paypal or CC so you can do a charge back if it goes wrong.

KLH

Feed Provider
They might be employees purchasing them with their discount, then reselling them.

As far as the warranty goes, unless you have a RadioShack sales receipt, you have no warranty.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I have been doing E Bay since 2000. I have purchased many scanners off E-Bay and only been burnt once, but Pay Pal & Discover refunded me every penny. I sell a lot of scanners on there too. Usually I can find ones at flea markets, or ones that people claim are broken. I can fix or salvage them for parts, and try to re-sell. A lot of the RS stuff came from store closing sales, and employees "unloading" excess merchandise. Some are buyouts from store returns. The best thing you can do is check feedback, and how long someone has been selling. This will give you the best indication of the honestly. Plus, pay with Pay Pal, and a credit card through them. That way you get Pay Pal's protection, plus your credit card company's protection.

davidd2957

I won a Pro-96 in an Ebay auction. I got it for under $300.00. The seller, through a written email, assured me that he would stand behind the sale of the Pro-96 for a year...
Any problems (within the Warranty for RS) send him the scanner and he would either send me a new scanner, or get my scanner repaired and sent back to me. His feedbacks
(feedbacks are very important) were @ 99+%. I've had the scanner for almost 2 years now without a single problem.

David D.

c_gutta

Premium Subscriber
I work at RS and if you don't have a RS receipt then you don't have a warranty. That is all there is to it. If you buy it on ebay, we don't know the condition when you bought it, so it wouldn't make any sense to honor a warranty. Your best bet is to get something in writing from the seller, and even that is not binding.

Where they get them from is a good question. I think they just buy in bulk directly from RS just like Scannermaster does. There may be a few that are employees and use their discount and resell but you really can't make any money that way. Also, you can't purchase that many before RS loss prevention is on your tale.

goldenboymd

I got a Pro-93 on ebay for 26 bucks and was told by the seller that it didn't work all the time. I got it-reset it and it has been GREAT. There are many good deals on ebay and I bid on many of the last minute deals. As said before check the sellers comments good luck

johnyvico

i also won a pro 96 scanner from ebay for 339 it also came with the win96 program with login a 30 value also came with the wall jack and the cloning cabe and car charger . i have had it over a year with no problems at all , i would recomend ebay for sscanners . also got a pro95 for 100 had no problems with that one also and resold it on ebay for 107

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
bought my pro-96 on ebay. basically its all in who you deal with. i had delt with this guy on other occasions with great results (other products.) The one thing I do make sure whenever I do business on ebay is to pay with paypal. They have great buyer protection. I had to use it once about a year ago, and got my money back from the sale. The only real draw back to it is that the warranty in general isn't there.

JamesDee

I bought my Pro 2096 on Ebay over a year ago, and I think at that time I got it new in the box for 329 dollars American.
The seller had a high rating, and very positive feedback, so I felt confident buying from him.
Unit works just great, and never had a single problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.