• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

E.F. Johnson 5100 Es M.1 HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The 2 indicates it is a UHF model intended for Federal use only. That would include FBI, Secret Service, US Marshals, etc. I would very carefully make sure it is turned off and returned to the box because any detected transmission on their frequencies is guaranteed trouble for the user.

Gunman9

The 2 indicates it is a UHF model intended for Federal use only. That would include FBI, Secret Service, US Marshals, etc. I would very carefully make sure it is turned off and returned to the box because any detected transmission on their frequencies is guaranteed trouble for the user.

If this is true why can you purchase UHF radios all over?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Purchasing and using are two entirely different things. Except for FRS radios, all UHF frequencies require some type of FCC license. Hams are limited to the range of 420 Mhz to 449.995 Mhz. All other frequencies are controlled under other licenses except for the FRS radios, which are limited to very low power and other restrictions. Read the story in the following link if you want to see what can and does happen. FCC Fines Florida Man $20,000 for VHF Marine Band Radio Interference - Moderated Discussion Areas Here is an article directly associated with the frequency range of your radios. Florida Ham Issued $25,000 Fine for Operating an Unlicensed Radio Transmitter and Interfering with Licensed Communications

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
You dont get it... You just can't take any radio you buy and start transmitting on a frequency that is programmed in it without the proper license. The band you are playing in is restricted to federal agencies only. You can buy Family radio service or MURS radios that do not need a license. What you are doing is illegal and dangerous. How much more do you need to know.. Multiple people have told you this.Your buddy the sheriff may or may not know. I am a professional radio tech.. as are many others here...We have a clue..

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Correct, and the model number indicates that it was programmed for Federal use. Most radios cover frequencies in a greater range than are actually used. None of the frequencies in this range are legal on that radio without the proper license. Read the second article and see what can and will happen if you are monitored. The chances of being caught are high in this range because many medical facilities and services such as jails use them. Since you have carried on this discussion (argument), I have no doubt that more than one law official has seen it and would take action if there was a problem in your area.

Gunman9

Ok so what exactly do I need to do to be legal? Does it need to be reprogrammed or what? What license?

photoguy2

Ok so what exactly do I need to do to be legal? Does it need to be reprogrammed or what? What license?
To operate a radio on almost any frequency in the US, you need to license from the FCC.Their are a few exceptions, FRS, MURS, CB, 900mhz LF, 2.4GHZ, etc. GMRS is in the 460Mhz range, and only requires paying the FCC a fee of around $80. Short of a commercial license (which I will not go into), that is your only option. (In UHF, other than getting a ham ticket.)

I'm a Moto not E.F. guy, so I don't know if the radios can have a codeplug pushed for a higher band split. If they can, you can get a GMRS license, and be 95% legal. (Yes radio police, I know their not type-accepted).

If this is true why can you purchase UHF radios all over?
Because their are many different parts of the UHF band. Fed, HAM, GMRS, FRS, commercial, Public Safety, LF, Radar, etc. Also, just because you can buy something, does not mean you can use it how you want, (Or even at all). Can you buy a Ferrari, yes, can you legally drive it over 75 on a highway in the US, nope.

Your best bet is to go back to your local com shop, and have them read them, they can tell you exactly how they are programmed, and perhaps program them to a frequency you can use legally.

To restate what was said above, you DO NOT want to be transmitting in the fed band. That's even worse then the HAM or Commercial bands. You may not be caught this year, or the next, but you will eventually. If not by the feds themselves, then by a HAM/scanner listener. I don't have links handy, but the fines are HUMONGOUS, plus possible jail time. This is not like driving in the back county without insurance, or pirating the occasional movie. Someone will find out eventually.

Also, I just have to ask, what prompted you to buy these radios for hunting? Public Safety radios are generally not the first thing people just go out and buy.

Matt

Last edited:

Gunman9

I bought them through a government liquidation auction here locally therefore I did thought they were just radios. Like I said before to me they where just radios.

Gunman9

Problem solve found a EF Johnson dealer that going to reprogram all of them to a public frequency. Thanks for the help

Last edited:

ee1993

I know that this is an old thread but I just thought I would add that the EFJ 5100 series is FCC type accepted for part 90 and is acceptable for GMRS use when properly programmed . That is likely what the radio dealer's shop programmed for this user. He should, of course, get a GMRS license (but likely did not). Also, my understanding is that the original VHF 5100 was grandfathered for MURS but only if programmed for low power.

Company: E. F. Johnson Company (ATH)
123 N. State Street

Waseca, Minnesota 56093
United States

Application: 5100 Series 380-470 MHz
Application Type: Original Equipment
Equipment Class: NF - Licensed Non-Broadcast Transmitter Held to Face
Date: 11/12/2004
Operating Frequencies:
Grant Notes FCC Rule Parts Frequency
Range (MHZ) Output
Watts Frequency
Tolerance Emission
Designator
90 380.0 - 470.0 5.2 0.9 PM 11K0F3E
90 380.0 - 470.0 5.2 0.9 PM 16K0F3E
90 380.0 - 470.0 5.2 0.9 PM 11K8F1E
90 380.0 - 470.0 5.2 0.9 PM 11K8F1D

Full Application Details: E. F. Johnson Company FCC ID ATH2425131 - 5100 Series 380-470 MHz (ATH-2425131, ATH 2425131, 2425131/2425131)
Follow us: @FCCIDnet on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.