• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

E.F. Johnson 5100 Es M.1 HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunman9

Hi everyone I am new here and recently acquired 6 brand new E.F. Johnson 5100 ES model 1 radios. I got them for hunting to communicate with. Well the issue is I only get about a mile of reception out of them than nothing!! I have read the manuals and everything and can not solve this problem. Any help would be great! Thanks!!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gunman, you would probably get more help in one of the Commercial and Professional forums. This forum is more for scanner newbies.

If you'd like it moved, click on the Report Post icon (small triangle in the upper right corner of your post) and ask a Moderator to move it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
EFJ 5100

First of all, what frequency range are you using? Depending on the code plug and past use of the radios, they may need to be aligned. Make sure you have the proper antennas, as the 5100 series antennas look similar and can easily be mixed up. The frequency used can also make a difference when used in hilly terrain with lot of trees, and two handhelds will not work anything like a HT and a repeater for coverage.

Gunman9

Ok. I am completely new to anything radio lol. These are brand new in the box never used. I was planning on using them for long range communication on my hunting properties. The antennas came in the box with the six along with the six radio charging dock. And 12 batteries. I tried everything I knew of to get distance out of them which is nothing since idk anything about radios. I can't even tell you the frequency since idk what it is. But I'm only get a mile from the other radio and no more communication.

Gunman9

Ok so i talked to a radio communications dealer earlier and was informed that my radios are programmed since they are communicating between each other. Also he stated that I would need an antenna mounted on my vehicle to the radio to extend the range. He said that the 1-1.5 Miles I was getting out the radio is all I would get with the stock antenna. Does this all sound correct? Should I just invest in long range antennas that attach to the handheld like they are using on the HAM radios?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
EFJ 5100

Even sitting in a box, they can go of of tune. Just the aging process can change the accuracy, and these are an old model that has been around for quite awhile. More important, if you are on the wrong frequency, you can be in for serious trouble and big fines. You could be unknowingly interfering with a public safety agency. Those radio require a ham license at the very least and have the ability to operate on a wide range of frequencies within a band. If you are on a PS or government frequency, the FCC will go after you sooner or later. If they are VHF radios, they are not legal on MURS, and the UHF version is not legal on FRS. If they are 800 mhz radios, there are no legal frequencies for the public use. There is a document called EF Johnson decoder that will tell you what frequency band your radios are in. Do a Google to find more info before you get into deep water.

Gunman9

ok based on what I just search this is it. My model number is 242-512A-000JW6. Based on the graph below it is a UHF380.

This number ...
Corresponds to this band ...

xx1x
VHF
xx2x
UHF 380
xx4x
UHF High
xx6x
UHF 380
xx7x
700/800 MHz
xx9x
900 MHz

That particular part number references back to several FSN's. Most likely for the Federal low UHF band. I don't think I would be playing around with radios I know nothing about on that band. The FCC won't bother you but the Feds with absolutely no sense of humor and the resources to make you become the hunted and not the hunter may pay you a visit.

Gunman9

Ok.... Can someone please explain in plain english why using the radios is bad? I can not see how they would "come for me" if I am simply using the radios for hunting.... Nothing I am reading is adding up to the severity that your talking. I am X-Military and an X-Firefighter and have never heard of these issues with any standard radios.

Gunman9

Ok... Well I'll check into with a sheriff buddy of mine to verify it's true. I appreciate the help though.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
EFJ radios

Most law enforcement officers don't know any more about their radios than they need to make a call. Take them to a professional radio shop that handles EF Johnson. If you post the 242-???? number on the inside back of the radio, I can tell you what band they are in and the chances for problems. Using any radio that interferes with public service frequencies will cause trouble and even put lives at risk. You're post about "simply using the radios for hunting" shows your total lack of knowledge and understanding of the potential problems..

trunker101

EF JOHNSON 5100

I own a 5100 portable it has many options. However I just wanted to use it for passive scanning. Nobody was really ever made these models into non affiliate scanning just selective talk-groups such as the XTS line. I plugged 7 conventional channels in my trunking system however it wont scan Nacs so I wish someone would show a video on youtube or point to a link. So far NOBODY has figured out the system key on a EF.

Gunman9

Most law enforcement officers don't know any more about their radios than they need to make a call. Take them to a professional radio shop that handles EF Johnson. If you post the 242-???? number on the inside back of the radio, I can tell you what band they are in and the chances for problems. Using any radio that interferes with public service frequencies will cause trouble and even put lives at risk. You're post about "simply using the radios for hunting" shows your total lack of knowledge and understanding of the potential problems..

Exactly hence why I said in my very first post and following post that I know absolutely nothing about them yet everyone seems to keep missing that part and pointing it out after I already stated it several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.