• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Eagle Scouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

Is Anyobdy On Here A Eagle Scout? I Am Life, And Working On My Eagle. =)
Thnks
Ps. If You Have Any Advice Or Tips, Plz Let Me Know Thnks

I only made it to life,came down with a bad case of "fumes" (perfume and exaust fumes :) . My son made it all the way to Eagle and needless to say I'm very proud of him. He will be going into his Sophmore year at Haverford College in the fall and is currently volunteering with Common Ground in New Orleans helping to rebuild homes that were damaged by Katrina.

My advice would be to stay focused. Identify what you need to accomplish to make Eagle and establish a timeline in which to do it. Make sure to allow extra time as sometimes things take longer than anticipated, ESPECIALLY when it comes to doing your project. Don't let those setbacks discourage you, it's all part of the journey. If it wasn't very challenging, more people would make it to Eagle.

If you can take advantage of Eagle Required Merit Badge camps, that will help tremendously as it saves a lot of time and enables you to work on required badges in a concentrated program.

Last edited:

N5TWB

Premium Subscriber
Not an Eagle Scout but I am the father of an Eagle and have been a Scoutmaster for other Eagles and have served on District Eagle Boards. So the advice will come from those perspectives.

First, don't waste any time because the age of 18 arrives more quickly than you think. Get your act together as regards being ready with the necessary Merit Badges and get those confirmed thru the Council office. There is a form for that purpose. I can assure you that District Advancement boards do not like to see first proposals from Eagle candidates that are 17 years and 11 months old that want to do their project in the next month. This does not indicate the level of leadership and maturity expected of an Eagle.

Next, choose a meaningful Eagle project with sufficient complexity that it makes it easy for the review board to approve it without sending you back to beef up the project proposal. Complexity means that it requires a level of planning, supervision, and follow-through on your part that you are able to demonstrate the leadership qualities expected of an Eagle Scout. Leadership is what the Eagle Scout rank is about -- not the project itself or the merit badges. Look at the leadership component if you really want to understand what it means to be an Eagle.

Make a back-up plan for your initial proposal so that the District Advancement board can see that you are thinking deeper than the initial schedule that you set for execution for the project. Back-up plans include additional project dates, alternative resources, etc.

Learn to write formally (no Internet forum/IM-speak or abbreviations such as used in your initial post) and to present your material orally in an organized fashion. Make the approval board WANT to approve you on the first time through rather than give them reasons to reject your proposal. Your project advisor from your troop should assist in this.

Finally, use the opportunity to learn while working on your trail to Eagle. These opportunities will take various forms and it is up to you as to whether you will really learn the lessons that are there for you. The primary form of learning is how to take and give leadership because that is what is expected of you in this process. Hopefully, that is a lesson you have received in the leadership positions you have already held in your troop.

In the future, if you are fortunate enough to be able to put on your resume or job application that you are an Eagle Scout, someone may ask you what you learned in that process. Be able to provide a positive and full answer to that question because then that person will know that it meant more to you than just another rank. I speak from personal experience as a hiring manager in this matter.

I'm sure I have told you more than you wanted to know but I am very passionate about keeping the Eagle recognition meaningful. I would be glad to answer any other direct questions via PM, if you like.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Made it to Life, then I became an Explorer Scout (LAPD). This kind of took over. I always wish I would have continued on to Eagle. At the time, I thought that becoming an Explorer Scout was a graduation from being a Boy Scout (and much cooler, too).

There was another issue, too. My Troop folded (closed up shop). It was Troop 213 in Canoga Park/Winnetka, CA (Los Angeles - Great Western Council). We had a unique troop number, being that back then the entire Los Angeles area had the area code of 213.

mass-man

OH my!!! Wish I had the wisdom of N5TWB when I was prodding my son on his way to EAGLE.

I made it, both of my brothers and he finally did, and will tell you it is a huge source of pride.

I haven't been able to be involved with SCOUTING for many years, but glad TWB posted his comments, with his inside perspective.

Keep on track!!!

cellblock776

I never made it past Cub Scout. Wasn't really interested in the local scouting program and by the time I would have been a Boy Scout I had stopped going to church and was atheist so I would never have made it to Eagle Scout.

N5TWB

Premium Subscriber
mass-man:

Thanks for your kind words. My post was the result of watching hard lessons be learned by young men and I wanted to share that with landonjensen so maybe he can learn some new hard lessons. My son made Eagle and is age 25, serving as a volunteer on the Eagle board for the district where he now lives. He has shared some stories with me that I folded into my advice.

weirdal

I'm also a life scout working towards Eagle. Sadly I've been losing interest and slacking off though. I need to complete my Family Live merrit badge then do an Eagle project and I will be done.

car2back

Got my Eagle May 2004 with Troop 89, SKiatook ,OK... My project was building a sign and installing flag poles for the new fire station in my town.

Family Life was my last MB as well.

landonjensen

i am planning since i am 14 to join the fire dept explorers, and when i will be doing both, its probaley going to be hard, but im going to try it. =)

mass-man

weirdal....

Read n5twb's post AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN!!! One merit badge and the project to go...

Don't lose sight of the prize. It is a source of pride for ALL of us, and believe me, when just starting out in the job world, with a short resume, that EAGLE SCOUT says something to employers.

Both my brothers heard that as well as my son. I never applied for a job, so can't speak for myself.

Keep on truckin!!!!!

cschmit

mass-man said:
weirdal....

Read n5twb's post AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN!!! One merit badge and the project to go...

Don't lose sight of the prize. It is a source of pride for ALL of us, and believe me, when just starting out in the job world, with a short resume, that EAGLE SCOUT says something to employers.

Both my brothers heard that as well as my son. I never applied for a job, so can't speak for myself.

Keep on truckin!!!!!
Every interview I have had, including the one I had Friday, I have been asked about my Eagle Scout and I can honestly say it has been a key to every job I have gotten. It is one rank you will NOT regret getting.

landonjensen said:
i am planning since i am 14 to join the fire dept explorers, and when i will be doing both, its probaley going to be hard, but im going to try it. =)
My advice would be to concentrate on your EAGLE. Take it from me, I am a firefighter who has been on the job for 32 years and am currently a Battalion Chief. I was in your shoes when I was 14, ALL I thought about was joining the local volunteer fire department. There will be plenty of time to become a firefighter assuming that's what you choose to do, but you will never be able to go back and get your Eagle Scout.

I know that 18 seems a long way off to you right now, but becoming an Eagle Scout takes time and dedication.

Last edited:

jmp883

Echoing what others have already posted: follow what N5TWB wrote, stay focused, and you'll make Eagle.

I started in the Cub Scouts and went as far as Life when I made the 1st of 3 stupid decisions in my life. I made Life just as I was starting high school. I then promptly quit the Boy Scouts because I thought it wasn't cool to be a Scout now that I was in high school. WRONG!! My father had been the Scoutmaster while I was still in the Cubs and was still the Scoutmaster when I quit. Needless to say he wasn't very happy with my decision. Not long after I quit he also stepped down, I'm sure very disappointed in me. My high school also served the adjoining town and I met many Scouts from that town while in high school. Many of the guys from that troop went all the way to Eagle. Once I saw that being in high school and being in the Scouts had no bearing on each other I should've gone back. 2nd stupid decision was to not go back-pride wouldn't allow me to ask the new Scoutmaster to take me back. I found out I hadn't yet been officially removed from the troop roll so I could've come back right where I left off.

I learned a lot about myself in the Cub and Boy Scouts. I have many great memories of camping/hiking trips, Klondike Derbies, and all the other troop activities we did with my dad and the troop. I only wish I'd gone all the way to Eagle. I graduated high school in 1982 and have found that Scouts turn up everywhere....my dispatch partner is an Eagle and my supervisor is a Scoutmaster and former Scout (though I don't know how far he went rank-wise).

BTW-the 3rd stupid decision was turning my back on music performance the day I graduated high school. I was quite musical, vocally and on numerous instruments. When I graduated high school I figured I'm an adult, why do I need to perform music anymore? I've lost it all-I can't read music anymore, haven't sang in years, and all my instruments and the abilities to play them, are long gone.....:(

It's a shame we don't have the benefit of foresight....I'm sure I wouldn't have made the decisions I did.

Best of luck to you.....and let us know when you've made it! :)

Last edited:

JMR3865

made it to star. We changed scout masters and most of us got tired of the new one's attitude. Most of us left, I got involved in FIRE & EMS. I do not regret getting involved in that but sometimes think about going back. We had a troop of 50. (our town is 3.2 sq miles). When they finally got rid of this scoutmaster (9 months later), it was a troop of 10. The troop is still around and building itself back up.

car2back

landonjensen said:
Landon, I joined the local Fire Dept's Explorer program at 16, Got my Eagle with my local Troop AND I am a Firefighter/EMT with the department today! The OK Firefighter's Association even counted my time as an explorer towards my pension I'll be getting someday!

Good luck with both your eagle & firefighting!

Status
Not open for further replies.