EAM on UHF ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thom

Premium Subscriber
I heard what sounds like an EAM message from "Windpipe", on 323.8. I thought that EAM's were only transmitted on HF. The only info I have for that freq is air to air.

Last edited:

chgomonitor

Silent Key

Frequency has been used for EAM's from airborne command post aircraft for some time, currently the E6B Mercury series, mostly. I've caught them on 311.000 and 321.000, too - but only rarely. I've actually never heard one on 323.800, nice catch. This afternoon I had a WBFM/MPX Northstar downlink burning from what I'm guessing was an airborne command post on 230.900. Are you in the Midwest? I'm just outside of Chicago. The footprint on these signals can be hundreds of miles in radius.

My understanding is these transmissions are one the backups to the Milsat satellite feeds for the folks down in the ICBM silos. Happy Scanning! - Ted

chgomonitor

Silent Key
Titan HF Pop-Up Antennas

Thought you might also enjoy a look at their HF Pop-Up masts.

Attachments

• PopUpHFTitan01.jpg
    PopUpHFTitan01.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 880
  • PopUpHFTitan02.jpg
    PopUpHFTitan02.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 635

chgomonitor

Silent Key

chgomonitor

Silent Key
Titan HF Discone

And finally, here's a cute little HF discone out in front of the Titan Museum. A sign described that if you are an amateur radio operator how you could contact the local amateur radio club for an opportunity to actually use the antenna while on site.

Attachments

• TitanHFDiscone.jpg
    TitanHFDiscone.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 1,435

thom

Premium Subscriber
To answer chgomonitor's question, I'm on the CT coast next to the CT River, very far from any silos. The signal came in strongest when I turned my DPD LP to the south, Maybe it was from W105 area, south of Long Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.