EAMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfrostchief

Good Morning everyone. I am interested in buying a receiver that can receive military EAMS. I live just out side of Buffalo New York. Any Info would be helpful. I currently monitor 311.00 MHz and sometimes get EAMS. Thanks for the help.

Frosty

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

What receiver and antenna are you currently using for 311.0 mHz? Are you planning on hearing EAMs only in the MilAir UHF band, or will you want HF as well? And not trying to be flip, but last I knew there is no such thing as an "EAM receiver". Many different makes and models will work, and because mil comms use the entire RF spectrum you'll hear EAMs nearly anywhere.

Last edited:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
So there are probably two questions: 1) What receiver should I use for HF? and 2) What frequencies should I listen to? Question #2 is answered in part here as a good place to start:
Category:Milcom - The RadioReference Wiki
Regarding the HF receiver, there are dozens from which to choose. Some basics though:
- ensure you get one that is capable of SSB (Single Side Band) reception
- What is your budget to spend? Having some idea of that will help others here make suggestions for HF receivers.
- DO NOT skimp on your antenna! It is more important than the receiver. Yes, it should be outdoors. And yes it should be mounted as high as possible. You will not be happy with a back-of-set telescoping whip antenna.
- Consider longwire antennas, dipoles, end-feds, etc. They cover wide freq ranges and offer a high price/performance ratio... and are easy to build if you want to.
To verify your setup is working on HF, monitor the USAF GCHF freq of 11175 kHz (mostly daytime). There are others, but that one is very active (and has a separate thread here on RR.... read it).

SCPD

QRT
If your just starting out and don't want to spend a ton of money on a receiver the Grundig satellit 750 is a good place to start for a price of $300. However if your willing to spend bit more you can get a much better receiver like the Alinco DXR8 for around $500 or the Icom R75 for around $600. The nice thing about the Alinco is you have the option to run it as an SDR.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Of you want a rather inexpensive way of receiving HF, with SSB, the RadioShack World Receiver (catalog 20-629) works. This is not going to give the performance of high end receivers, but will do the job.

As I type this, they are on sale for $59.99.

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.