• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Early G2/G3 reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Just pulled the plug on a G3 with my local dealer. hopefully will be in next week. neighboring counties are all UHF, with my county being VHF. So this was the perfect fit. I hope VHF sensitivity isnt compromised by having an internal antenna

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Ok, so here is my week review of the G3. A little background, the county I live in is VHF P25, all surrounding counties are UHF P25. So the G3 route seemed logical. Its a great little radio, and the pricing isn't horrible. I obtained mine through the local radio shop. For all of my intents and purposes, it works 110% for what i need it for. Also this is my first Unication

Pros: Compact, lightweight, and has a nice solid feel to it. not made of cheap plastic.
Handles LSM better than a scanner, the audio quality is great
Programming software free, and to me was easy to use.
Although VHF antenna is internal, I am not having any issues with packet loss, signal is 4 bars steady.
Bluetooth with my Trex Titanium Headset is good.
Charging via USB makes charging on the go fast and easy. although I do recommend getting the amplified base for home use

Cons: It will only scan 1 P25 system at a time. Not a big issue with me because i only monitor the county that im currently in
Although DMR Tier 2 is supported, Tier 3 trunking would be better.
Volume level between 1-50 could be a little louder. 50+ is good.
You cannot change settings if there is a voice call in progress, Voice calls basically over-ride the screen.
the front panel buttons are not programmable for different functions.
USB port charging is ok, however wireless charging should have been an option as to avoid excessive wear and tear.

These are just my opinions on this radio. Keep in mind my primary use is for a single system monitor. But when i travel, i can switch to another county at a flip of the switch. it works better than i anticipated. Depending on what you need a receiver for, it may suit your needs, or it may not. Happy Scanning!

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
"USB port charging is ok, however wireless charging should have been an option as to avoid excessive wear and tear. "

The drop in charger solves this issue with out adding any additional RF from a wireless charger system.

Status
Not open for further replies.