Earphones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

I'd like to know if anyone has an opinion on earphones they used or once used, how you like them/didn't like them, how they felt/comfortable?

I'm specifically going to use these on my BCD325P2 scanner but any unit/scanner that someone has used with earphones that has a headphone jack on it, can give me their advice/help/suggestions.

I'm not looking for wireless either.....

Thanks......

marksmith

A good set of common earbuds are fine with the 325. I bike ride while listening to the 325. Using buds you can set volume down around 4-5 and hear fine, extend battery life.

Also makes you less conspicuous in some areas.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
The only earbuds I've liked are the Apple version. Any others just make my ears sore after about an hour.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It may not be technically wise to do this, but I have done so for years without issue. At night I'll listen to both an iPod and scanner either with Apple earbuds (on the road) or Bose Headphones. I use a "Y" adapter so I can listen to both.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Ear Buds or ear bud type earphones work well (but the cheapies will hurt after awhile). If you only want a single ear, consider an acoustic tube (ie "Secret Service") earphone.

At hone, I like to use a set of full size headphones with my computer and SDR. It can block out distractions, and the audio doesn't disturb the household.

jmp883

I've used both full-coverage, padded headphones from several manufacturers and Apple earbuds. I've found that the audio is very good with either type.

majoco

Stirrer
I tried earbuds with my little VXR-2 scanner but I found my ears got sore quite quickly and also every time the squelch lifted I got a "thump" in my ear - I guess the was a small voltage present which moved the diaphragm - which was very tiring. It was actually better without the foam shield. Now I use an older pair of Akai ASE8 open ear headphones - quite light and very comfortable - and you can hear that car coming up behind you.... :)

Ubbe

I usually use an extension cord with earphones that have a mono switch and volume control.
That way I always get sound in both ears and I adjust the volume down to reduce noise from the electronics
and any thumps that can be heard and then raise the volume on the scanner or whatever sound source I'm using.

/Ubbe

Rred

Steve-
Ears are all different, inside and out. What works for anyone else may not work for you. And with a scanner you are looking at "communications grade" audio, from 300-3000Hz, nothing like the greater frequency range needed for music or broadcast radio.
So what you need is what fits YOUR ears and is comfortable for you. A set of traditional headphones that go over the ears will be one size for both ears. With decent earbuds, you'll get 3-5 different tip styles and sizes, and you can literally put a "medium" in one ear and a "small" in the other, to make them fit properly. Yes, ears are like feet, they are not always the same size.

So you look for a brand name that is generally considered reputable and good quality, and if possible a return privilege, and you try some out to find out what YOU like. No one else.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
I use Bose QC-35s. Options for wired or wireless (I use a Bluetooth transmitter dongle if the radio is across the room, etc). Long battery life, excellent quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.