Earthquake Awareness Course - Jasper - June 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Central US Earthquake Consortium and the Dubois County EMA to Host an Earthquake Awareness Course in Indiana

The Central United States Earthquake Consortium (CUSEC), in cooperation with the Dubois County Emergency Management Agency and the Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS), is presenting a class titled “The Central US is Earthquake Country.” It will be held at the Jasper Inn on Hwy 231 S in Jasper, IN, on June 26, 2008, from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. It will be open to the general public, but seating is limited to 100.

The class will provide an overview of the Central U.S. earthquake threat, which has had increased attention since the earthquake near Mt. Carmel, Illinois on April 18. Much of the focus of the class will be on the New Madrid and Wabash Valley Seismic Zones. Instructors scheduled to speak include Dr. Norman Hester, a geologist who was formerly Director of the Indiana Geological Survey, and Paul Hogue, CUSEC’s Exercise/Training Officer.

Topics for the class include an overview of the science behind earthquakes, a description of Indiana’s own earthquake threat, a summary of Indiana’s planning and mitigation efforts, and a primer on earthquake safety. Questions will be welcomed from attendees at the end of each speaker’s presentation.

“The Central US is Earthquake Country” is part of an ongoing effort to address catastrophic planning issues related to the earthquake threat in the Central U.S.

To register for the class, or for more information, call Mary A. Miller or Gary Fritz at the Dubois County Emergency Management Agency at (812) 482-2202 or send an email to dclepc@psci.net.

Go-24

I swear just felt one about 15-20 minutes ago, but I guess it could have been the beer. I need to check the seismic activity for today.

Status
Not open for further replies.