Earthquake Hits Northern Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightshade

I listen to WGN radio out of Chicago and they never said a word about a quake. Wonder why?

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
USGS Earthquake Info site

A small earthquake in northern Illinois set off car alarms, knocked books off the shelves and jolted scores of people awake at 4 a.m. Wednesday, but otherwise caused no serious damage, officials said.

Small Earthquake Hits Near Chicago - NYTimes.com
Here's the USGS information site for this quake: Magnitude 3.8 - ILLINOIS - epicenter 6 mi west of Elgin, it says.

They typically update these if/when more information becomes available. Links there to maps, technical info, etc, and they like it if people who felt the thing report what they felt at "Did you feel it -- Tell Us" link.

A lot of us Californians have the USGS Earthquake map page right near the top of our "Bookmarks"

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I use to live up in Chicago. I can't remember when was the last one hit. Even my sister and them by DuPage had some shaking going on. They are okay.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Last week there were two minor quakes along the New Madrid also. So maybe these lil tremors will let off pressure. Praying that baby don't let loose. Last time it rolled the MS river flowed backwards in a spot for 3 days... Scary, especially with all the development in the zone.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Don't be scared - yesterday's quake wasn't related to New Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.