Easier to use scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
YOU are suggesting it is done to the 396. I'm only using the 396 as an example since most scanners today as far as I know work the same way or similar to the 396.

And here is where you display your fundamental and willful ignorance. I'm not suggesting that ANYTHING has been solved with the 396xt. I'm pointing out that the problem has been addressed in newer scanner models, specifically the BCD436HP and BCD536HP models. The memory architecture and user interface of the BCDx36HP scanners is significantly different than that of the 396xt. The newer user interface of the x36 line of scanners makes it easy to quickly navigate to any arbitrary channel among tens of thousands, even though it doesn't have an actual text search. You're complaining about a problem that has been mostly solved, for no reason other than that the designers didn't choose YOUR solution.

If you haven't had a hands-on session with a 436 or 536 scanner under the tutelage of someone who is familiar with its operation, you're not qualified to have an opinion about this.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What if I don't know what agency or dept, or even system the Dive boat works for?? I just want to type DIVE and bring it up, that's it.

Because many such searches will bring up dozens or maybe hundreds of results, just like if you did a search on "dispatch" or "fire". You'll need to know the system/department context to determine which search result is the one you actually want.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Brother everybody gave you good ideas and it seems you just want to argue.Hate to say it but might want to find a new hobby or design something with your IT experience that helps you with what you want to do.

I'm not argueing about anything. You folks are arguing, or should I say defending Uniden for the only reason I can come up with, which is you must work for them. Otherwise, why would you not want a new feature in a scanner? Things that make you say hmmmmm.

I'm not looking for "ideas". I'm looking for a very specific feature. Do I need to repeat the feature again? A SIMPLE TEXT SEARCH THAT SEARCHES THE TAGS OF ALL THAT IS PROGRAMMED INTO THE SCANNER. I would like that feature added to my current scanner, a BCD396xt, OR because apparently that is an outdated model which is fine, put into a NEW scanner model that is being developed. Wow, what a crime, I should be locked up for this request!!

So far we are almost 60 posts into this thread, and the only strong proponent of your search function is you.

You sure about that? About 40 of those posts are mine. The other 20 are Uniden employee's, and other folks who didn't quite understand the request properly.

Interestingly, the GRE PSR-500 had the ability to do a FIND on a channel/talkgroup label/alpha tag.... but as far as I know the PSR-500/600 may have been the only radio (that I know of) that offered that. I liked that feature but didn't use it as much as it might seem.

Perhaps it's a suggestion that can get some attention.... old is new again.

Maybe even better - a FIND option that displays a list of matches the user can then scroll to and SElect to monitor.... hmmmmm..

Yup - it's interesting how features come and go but in most cases, I'm sure the feature set(s) are based on user demand... I can only assume the assumption is that there isn't high demand for this feature... but we can help move it up on the list!

I'm not the only one asking for this simple feature. I would bet you there are many who would LOVE this feature. The lack of a simple text search on these scanners is likely one of the main reasons most of them end up collecting dust in a closet.

It's unlikely that's enough pressure to convince the scanner makers they should act on your suggestion. If you want to see how popular your idea is with the scanning masses you should start a new thread as a Poll to see what the actual level of interest is. If there is enough positive response it could potentially move the needle on your idea. Personally I'd much rather they devote their energy to addressing actual problems, like P25 simulcast distortion. It doesn't much matter that you can find your DIVE channel easily if your reception of it is unintelligible.

That's a great idea. Regarding not wanting them to "devoting energy to it", adding a text search would not take up resources or a great deal of time to do. It's about 10 lines of code. I for one, and any other programmer could write the code for it on just about any processor while sleeping. It a VERY simple thing to do. That is why I'm perplexed about why it doesn't exist already.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Hey if it a conventional frequency just type in the frequency.Hold/Freq/Hold works well.

Well, that assumes you know the frequency by heart, which of course we don't. BUT, I essentially do this, I keep a paper list of all my stuff printed from Excel, in Alpha Order, in Service order, and in Location order. So very often, I look up on the printed list what I'm looking for, and then enter it in to the scanner to listen to. Of course the scanner says "Frequency already Exists, Save (Y/N)" because it is already buried in a scanlist somewhere. Kinda ridiculous huh. Thanks Uniden.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Because many such searches will bring up dozens or maybe hundreds of results, just like if you did a search on "dispatch" or "fire". You'll need to know the system/department context to determine which search result is the one you actually want.

Yea, so? Sure beats scrolling thru 5000+ entries to find it, doesn't it?

Anyway, if I search my db in Excel which matches whats in my scanner, I come up with 3 entries for "DIVE". 2 are followed by the town name they are in, and the 3rd is a private charter company. It would be pretty easy to find the one I want. And that is similar for most of the stuff I want to search for.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
And here is where you display your fundamental and willful ignorance. I'm not suggesting that ANYTHING has been solved with the 396xt.

Nice work, that is very productive.

I'm pointing out that the problem has been addressed in newer scanner models, specifically the BCD436HP and BCD536HP models. The memory architecture and user interface of the BCDx36HP scanners is significantly different than that of the 396xt. The newer user interface of the x36 line of scanners makes it easy to quickly navigate to any arbitrary channel among tens of thousands, even though it doesn't have an actual text search. You're complaining about a problem that has been mostly solved, for no reason other than that the designers didn't choose YOUR solution.

If you haven't had a hands-on session with a 436 or 536 scanner under the tutelage of someone who is familiar with its operation, you're not qualified to have an opinion about this.

Hey, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your first meaningful post on this subject!! Now I'm listening. Was that so hard? PLEASE describe what you think would make the 436 or 536 scanner do what I'm looking to do. If they can do it, I will buy one tomorrow morning!

To recap, I want to program in about 5000 objects (a mix of conv freq,s and systems with lots of talklgroups). Each with a very definitive Text Tag that is very meaningful to me. I then would like to turn on the scanner, and QUICKLY and EASILY without using any memorization on my part (no codes, quickeys...) get to any one of those frequencies/talkgroups based on the TEXT in the tag only. I do not want to SCAN to find them, or scan a group of stuff until I find them. I simply want to find that text, and listen to that object.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
<snip>I keep a paper list of all my stuff printed from Excel, in Alpha Order, in Service order, and in Location order. So very often, I look up on the printed list what I'm looking for, and then enter it in to the scanner to listen to. <snip>

Besides using Quick Keys, you can also assign a unique Number Tag to each and every one of your 5000 stored channels. Going directly to any single channel in any system is simply a matter of typing in its number tag. So, put a copy of your Excel file on your iPhone that includes all your number tags and search that document on your phone.

You're welcome.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Besides using Quick Keys, you can also assign a unique Number Tag to each and every one of your 5000 stored channels. Going directly to any single channel in any system is simply a matter of typing in its number tag. So, put a copy of your Excel file on your iPhone that includes all your number tags and search that document on your phone.

You're welcome.

That is basically exactly what I have done in the past, except for the part about putting it in the iPhone which is a good idea. I should have done that because I do that for other things (store searchable lists on the iPhone so I can find them...). What I was doing was printing out the lists in Freescan with the number tags. But of course after months of not using it, I would forget what the keystroke is to get to enter in quick keys and number keys. You know, press and hold dot key, then menu, then .enter in number.... It's all just ridiculous that we have to go thru all of this to simply go to a particular channel, don't ya think? Create and store a hardcopy of your freqs, assign shortcut keys to them all, print it out or store on another device (iPhone), use that to look them up. Then enter in some obscure keystroke using keys that are mislabeled on the scanner to go to them.

Sure sounds like an awful lot of stuff to do and memorize in 2017, for such a simple thing, doesn't it? Really guys, I'm not crazy here. And I'm NOT asking for too much. Common Uniden, get it together.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
I'm hoping Jonwieke can point out how one of the newer scanners can do what I need. In the meantime, I'm going to watch the youtube video's on it, and skim thru the use parts of their manuals and see if I can find something. I'm pretty sure when the 436hp first came out, I did this already to no avail. But it's worth a shot cause the 396 is useless to me right now.

slicerwizard

None of us want to do text searches by spinning a cheesy tuning dial when we can do proper text entry / lookups on our phones. So Uniden isn't going to implement it just for you. And none of the posters in this thread work for Uniden, so quit lying. It just makes you look dumb.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
None of us want to do text searches by spinning a cheesy tuning dial when we can do proper text entry / lookups on our phones. So Uniden isn't going to implement it just for you. And none of the posters in this thread work for Uniden, so quit lying. It just makes you look dumb.

Huh? What the heck are you talking about? And please explain what I am "lying" about. ?? So now I am lying about wanting to do a text search? Yes your right! This is all just a conspiracy from Russian hackers trying to infiltrate the American scanning industry! LOL

Regarding the text search via the tuning dial, I certainly agree. I would love to see a touchscreen interface and no buttons or dials. The scroll dial works, but it is very clumsy to use. I would have much preferred right, left, up and down buttons with an enter key in the middle much like most remote controls have to move around in menu's on smart TV's, BluRay and DVD players and such.

I must say, this is the weirdest group of individuals I have ever encountered on the internet, and internet can be a very strange place indeed. If there is some kind of crime on the books against asking Uniden (and/or other scanner manufacturers) for a feature, somebody please let me know because I was not aware of it. If it is indeed a crime, please accept my apologies. I will rescind the request and go back to 1970 immediately.

[insert weird thriller music here]

Last edited:

slicerwizard

Huh? What the heck are you talking about? And please explain what I am "lying" about. ??
So you conveniently forgot that you accused all other participants in this thread of being on Uniden's payroll? No wonder you can't remember what's in your scanner or where.

In simple terms, that was a strawman attack on the other thread participants.

I must say, this is the weirdest group of individuals I have ever encountered on the internet, and internet can be a very strange place indeed. If there is some kind of crime on the books against asking Uniden (and/or other scanner manufacturers) for a feature, somebody please let me know because I was not aware of it. If it is indeed a crime, please accept my apologies. I will rescind the request and go back to 1970 immediately.

[insert weird thriller music here]
And that looks like more of the same to me. You're firmly into trolling territory now.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
So you conveniently forgot that you accused all other participants in this thread of being on Uniden's payroll? No wonder you can't remember what's in your scanner or where.

In simple terms, that was a strawman attack on the other thread participants.

And how would you explain me being absolutely personally attacked, for simply asking for a new feature on a scanner on a scanning forum?

And that looks like more of the same to me. You're firmly into trolling territory now.

I'm trolling? Lets see, your attacking me while ignoring my request for information regarding adding a new feature to current scanners, OR pointing me toward an existing scanner that has the feature I am looking for. But yes, I must be a "troll". :roll:

Sooooo, for the rest of the people, lets get back to the problem at hand. I AM LOOKING FOR THE FOLLOWING FEATURE, can anybody help me?

To recap, I want to program in about 5000 objects (a mix of conv freq,s and systems with lots of talkgroups). Each with a very definitive Text Tag that is very meaningful to me. I then would like to turn on the scanner, and QUICKLY and EASILY without using any memorization on my part (no codes, quickeys...) get to any one of those frequencies/talkgroups based on the TEXT in the tag only. I do not want to SCAN to find them, or scan a group of stuff until I find them. I simply want to find that text, and listen to that object. Plain and simple

Thanks in advance for any help!

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Incidentally, if I recall correctly I utilized your "Slicer" software many years ago on the 200XLT. Sure looks familiar...

You were not the author of "bcint", were you? I think that person was also from Toronto area.

DonS

please list the make and model scanner sold today that can simply do a text search of programmed freq's/ TG's.

Whistler WS1040 and WS1065.

PGM EDIT FIND Text <enter characters> OK <scroll through results> MAN

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Whistler WS1040 and WS1065.

PGM EDIT FIND Text <enter characters> OK <scroll through results> MAN

THANK YOU!!!

Wow, a quick 2 minute review on scannermaster looks very interesting. I'll have a better look later and see if it will work for me, thanks Don.

After you hit "MAN", are you tuned into that Freq or talkgroup/object?

DonS

THANK YOU!!!

Wow, a quick 2 minute review on scannermaster looks very interesting. I'll have a better look later and see if it will work for me, thanks Don.

After you hit "MAN", are you tuned into that Freq or talkgroup/object?

Yes. After hitting MAN you're monitoring that conventional channel or talkgroup (or, since "searches" can be scannable objects on those scanners, it might be a custom search range).

If you download my remote monitoring client program, you can test drive it remotely on my WS1065.

Status
Not open for further replies.