easiest way to find freqs not listed on RR

Status
Not open for further replies.

money911

Hey guys,
Finally got my PSR-500 and i love it. I am traveling right now and im trying to figure out how to find freqs that are not listed on RR. there is a coast guard base located where i am right now, also a few train stations. I was wondering how to located these freqs. also the hotel i am at all the workers have radios and i was wondering if there was a way to find out what they are using?

im not sure if im asking this in the right forum but i thought that the people with these radios might have a better idea...

any help is great!

thanks james

ecps92

Pick a band and scan it, don't take too much of a chunk. Make Notes of what you hear.

Between the FCC and purchasing a local Scanner Guide would help too.
My years of travel to NYC and NJ, I found Scanner Master to be a good/up-to-date
guide to purchase. Worth the $$

Public Safety
453.0000 - 453.9875
460.0000 - 460.6500

Feds
162-174 at 12.5 Khz splits
406-420 at 12.5 Khz splits

Business
460.6750 - 465.0000
465.0000 - 470.0000

the you have Military, Marine, and plenty of other types of searches

You might have T-Band channels in your area, but see what you find doing some basic searchs. Catch me off-line [e-mail or PM] and we can help you with the FCC search basics once you get back from Boston

money911 said:
so basically just set a starting and finishing point on the scanner and let it scan?

sorry im new at this...

james

Don_Burke

money911 said:
so basically just set a starting and finishing point on the scanner and let it scan?

sorry im new at this...

james
You can make some guesses by looking at the antennas and radios they use.

The FCC database can be quite a bit of help, although it is pretty bewildering at first.

Scanpal

Finding close Freqs.

For the hotel frequencies and for anyone else who is within relatively close range, especially if you can actually see them actively using a radio, simply use the "spectrum sweeper" feature of your scanner, it will immediately give you the frequency and enable you to hear their transmissions. To use this feature on the PSR-500, press "Func" then press "Scan". This will put you in the spectrum sweeper mode. You can disable and enable different bands in the spectrum by pressing the corresponding number on the keypad. For example: 2 is for band 137-174 . Press to disable , press again to enable. I usually disable the bands that I am certain the freq. I am looking for is not in. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.