EAST AND WEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

headlinemen52

Premium Subscriber
Hello i have a UNIDEN BCD 325PS SCANNER I LIVE CANTON TEXAS I HEAR EAST OF CANTON NOT WEST OF CANTON WHAT UP WITH THAT?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
What system or agencies are you trying to monitor that you're not receiving? What system or agencies are you able to receive? How long have you owned this scanner?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
All things being equal, you should be able to receive transmissions in a 360 degree pattern, natural or manmade obstructions notwithstanding. What system are you attempting to receive that you can't?

headlinemen52

Premium Subscriber
I CAN NOT HEAR KAUFMEN COUNTY AT ALL BUT SMITH COUNTY I CAN HEAR LINDALE SOME TYLER PD AND FIRE AND I HEAR VAN ZANDT COUNTY AM USEING P25PHASEII

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
If you're trying to monitor TXWarn, many of the sites are simulcast. I recall we had a discussion previously about simulcast distortion & how the 325p2 might not be the most ideal radio to track these types of systems. See also Steve's response to you on your thread here

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Canton TX appears to be on the fringes of the reception range for Kaufman County. The Kaufman system is also Simulcast, which may pose a problem for reception if you are equidistant to multiple transmitters.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
headlinemen52:
Hint.... All caps is considered RUDE (shouting). May I suggest you take your keyboard out of caps lock?

I know these scanners, simulcast, etc, etc can be frustrating, but SHOUTING at those that want to help you is counter productive....

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I CAN NOT HEAR KAUFMEN COUNTY AT ALL BUT SMITH COUNTY I CAN HEAR LINDALE SOME TYLER PD AND FIRE AND I HEAR VAN ZANDT COUNTY AM USEING P25PHASEII
Which Kaufman County system do you have programmed?
The old Vhf conventional channels?
Or the current trunked system?

Are you using the scanner's original antenna, or a different one? If different, which one?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Canton TX appears to be on the fringes of the reception range for Kaufman County. The Kaufman system is also Simulcast, which may pose a problem for reception if you are equidistant to multiple transmitters.
I'm farther away, west-northwest, from Kaufman than the OP, but I get good reception.

Simulcast, potentially, may be an issue, but if he is hearing Tyler PD, that is on a simulcast site on TxWARN.

headlinemen52

Premium Subscriber
Which Kaufman County system do you have programmed?
The old Vhf conventional channels?
Or the current trunked system?

Are you using the scanner's original antenna, or a different one? If different, which one?
The current trunked system phaseII

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I'm farther away, west-northwest, from Kaufman than the OP, but I get good reception.
What model of scanner are you using compared to the OP? Internal or external antenna? You actually may have better reception on the Simulcast system due to your greater distance. Simulcast distortion problems seem to be inconsistent, and based on a number of variables which make diagnosing the resulting reception problems difficult at best.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
What model of scanner are you using compared to the OP? Internal or external antenna? You actually may have better reception on the Simulcast system due to your greater distance. Simulcast distortion problems seem to be inconsistent, and based on a number of variables which make diagnosing the resulting reception problems difficult at best.
I have multiple scanners that can receive the system. A 325P2 (with the Remtronix 800MHz antenna), two 436HPs )Remtronix also), SDS100 (the SDS100 version of the Remtronix), and SDS200 (back of set antenna). These are inside a house with aluminum siding, which hinders reception in some cases.

I'm closer to several of the DFW area simulcast systems than the OP is to Kaufman's. but don't have simulcast issues with any of the scanners listed, (Granted, no problem expected with the SDS scanners, but the 325P2 & the two 436HPs have no issues.) In general, no simulcast issues with any of the scanners above when in my general neighborhood & in my vehicle.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
no signal strength at all
OK, you may be out of range then. You might look at this antenna:

That gets better reception on the 700 & 800MHz systems, like TxWARN (Tyler area) & the Kaufman system. However, that is not a good choice for Vhf-high frequencies, such as those your county (Van Zandt) & some of the other counties near you use.

This antenna is better for Vhf, but works well for 700 & 800Mhz systems.

But first, post a copy of your programming file so that we can make sure that there is nothing missing that would affect you.

Attaching a FreeSCAN file to a post:

FreeSCAN uses file extension *.996, which cannot be directly attached to a post. What you’ll need to do is this:

Find your programming file on your PC, and <right><click> on it.

You'll get a pop-up menu. One of the options is "Send To"

Select that, which will open another, shorter, menu.
1617472661184.jpeg

Select the option for "Compressed (zipped) folder.

That will create a file with the *.zip extension, which can be attached to a post.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
These are inside a house with aluminum siding, which hinders reception in some cases.
Tell me about it! I've been dealing with that demon for many years when using portables in the house. While I have an external discone, that proves to be too much signal for my local 800 MHz Simulcast systems I monitor.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
no signal strength at all
Are you seeing any signal strength indication on your 325P2 with the Remtronix antenna? Or is the scanner showing "finding control channel" when you hold on the Kaufman system?

I still suggest uploading your programming file, just in case something else needs to be entered or changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.