East Central Emergency Network (Columbia/Montour Counties)

ff572

Premium Subscriber
look at this page: PA-STARNet P25: Pennsylvania Statewide Radio Network Site: ECEN Simulcast

. The two red CCs are the only ones you need to add. Then add whatever TGs listed on the main page from ECEN
I programmed it in, however it is showing up NFM right below ID Search and I am picking more conventional as I have conventional and the ECEN split on different banks on the scanner. Is there other frequencies that I am not putting in that I should be? If I stop on the signal of the ECEN it shows like the call sign and shows what I named it. Sorry for bothering you again etc.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I programmed it in, however it is showing up NFM right below ID Search and I am picking more conventional as I have conventional and the ECEN split on different banks on the scanner. Is there other frequencies that I am not putting in that I should be? If I stop on the signal of the ECEN it shows like the call sign and shows what I named it. Sorry for bothering you again etc.
If you are directly in Montour or Columbia, I was told there are multiple towers that make up the ECEN simulcast which could be causing issues with your 996P2. Try turning your squelch all the one to the right so it’s 15 or whatever the high number it is and start from there. If your scanner is receiving multiple sites, it’s getting “confused” by the simulcast and isn’t decoding the CC correctly. If you’re super close to a tower, you may need to reduce your reception by using something like a paper clip.
If you need more help, shoot me a PM.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
The ECEN simulcast is a five site simulcast cell. Most scanners, with the exception of the new SDS series, seem to have a lot of trouble with simulcast P25 trunked transmissions. My BCD436 does pretty well on the state system when scanning the stand alone Astro site repeaters. However, once you get into the simulcast cells like ECEN, Warren Co, and the Allegheny Region, that model scanner will not do well. It might not help very much, but the ECEN talkgroups can also appear on the North Mtn site in Sullivan and the Millville site in northern Columbia Co, as well as some other nearby sites. But, they'll only appear on those sites if a radio using one of the ECEN talkgroups is affiliated with the site which may be hit or miss since most ECEN radios will likely be grabbing for the simulcast cell when affiliating.

It is a pain, for sure. But, if you really want to listen reliably to the simulcast, you would need an SDS series scanner from Uniden or a Unication pager. Both are pricy. The only "cheap" option involves some familiarity with various pieces of computer software and using a USB SDR radio dongle to listen via a program on your computer. In theory, this is cheap because the dongles can be had to under $100 (but then you need a computer that can handle the software). You can learn more about SDR in other areas of these forums.

ff572

Premium Subscriber
The ECEN simulcast is a five site simulcast cell. Most scanners, with the exception of the new SDS series, seem to have a lot of trouble with simulcast P25 trunked transmissions. My BCD436 does pretty well on the state system when scanning the stand alone Astro site repeaters. However, once you get into the simulcast cells like ECEN, Warren Co, and the Allegheny Region, that model scanner will not do well. It might not help very much, but the ECEN talkgroups can also appear on the North Mtn site in Sullivan and the Millville site in northern Columbia Co, as well as some other nearby sites. But, they'll only appear on those sites if a radio using one of the ECEN talkgroups is affiliated with the site which may be hit or miss since most ECEN radios will likely be grabbing for the simulcast cell when affiliating.

It is a pain, for sure. But, if you really want to listen reliably to the simulcast, you would need an SDS series scanner from Uniden or a Unication pager. Both are pricy. The only "cheap" option involves some familiarity with various pieces of computer software and using a USB SDR radio dongle to listen via a program on your computer. In theory, this is cheap because the dongles can be had to under $100 (but then you need a computer that can handle the software). You can learn more about SDR in other areas of these forums.

ff572

Premium Subscriber

Well I just wanted to let you know since you responded back being an admin and all, that I do have it working. I am listening to 161.9000 now. I just moved my scanner to another part of my room. The frequency is in and stored under Catawissa's tower. Well two or so miles outside Catawissa. Anyway other than that I heard a call last night. I just had to adjust a magnitude of things and monkey around with the scanner. Some of it was just leaving it sit in one spot for a while and adjust the squelch. The tower is at about 20 miles from me. I am just barely in the coverage area and for using a stock antenna that covers like 20 mghtz to 1300 or something like that. I am going to eventually get a mobile for my 996p2. I also want to get eventually a base antenna for near the top of my roof. That's my plan anyway. and now I am getting off topic. So the gist of everything is that it is working and I heard a call last night. I have Millville and all the others programmed in but locked out other than 161.9000. So I might let the other channel or open or unlock the other control channel.

KB3ZI

Does anyone have any info on fire 6….during a weather emergency a dept was assigned radio com on fire 6….what is listing for fire 6 please

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Does anyone have any info on fire 6….during a weather emergency a dept was assigned radio com on fire 6….what is listing for fire 6 please
Already in the database, along with a number of other ECEN talkgroups.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I'd be interested to ID some of the PD talkgroups (besides PD1) even though they're AES-256 encrypted but without actually seeing a a PD radio or knowing which RIDs go to which department it's gonna be pretty difficult.

KB3ZI

Does anyone here have a Whistler 1098 scanner successfully receiving the Columbia county p25 system….I have an sds200 working great but my Whistler stops on frequencies but never hear audio….thanks
Don

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Does anyone here have a Whistler 1098 scanner successfully receiving the Columbia county p25 system….I have an sds200 working great but my Whistler stops on frequencies but never hear audio….thanks
Don
If by "Columbia county P25 system" you're referring to the ECEN simulcast cell of the STARNet system, then the issue with your Whistler is that it was not designed to handle simulcast distortion from LSM cells, whereas the SDS200 was.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
How do the Whistlers handle the Big E? It’s been a while since I fired up my PSR 800. Didn’t Columbia go Bjg E for LE? Might the dead air be that the Whistler is getting hits on that where the SDS 200 isn’t?

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
How do the Whistlers handle the Big E? It’s been a while since I fired up my PSR 800. Didn’t Columbia go Bjg E for LE? Might the dead air be that the Whistler is getting hits on that where the SDS 200 isn’t?
Yes ECEN is full AES-256 for LE talkgroups.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Don
My experience with GRE/Whistler is their front ends are easily overloaded. Reduce the size of your antenna, loosen your squelch, and adjust your P25 settings. If you’re in county or close to the county, it’s a simulcast system, it’s probably distorted and won’t perform well unlike your SDS

KB3ZI

My experience with GRE/Whistler is their front ends are easily overloaded. Reduce the size of your antenna, loosen your squelch, and adjust your P25 settings. If you’re in county or close to the county, it’s a simulcast system, it’s probably distorted and won’t perform well unlike your SDS
I’m just outside Bloomsburg…I have it on an inside antenna and loose squelch…when the sds hears something the Whistler stops also but no audio…what p25 settings should I adjust or should I say how and thanks

alexguf

Union co med unit was at call in Montour co and where told by ECEN to utilize old Columbia co fire 1 and I heard it

Last edited: