East Haddam CT Approves New Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmacinct

East Haddam approved this capital improvement project tonight

“Shall the Town appropriate $2,100,000 for town-wide radio system improvements and authorize the issuance of bonds and notes in the same amount to finance said appropriation? "

LINKS:

https://imageserv11.team-logic.com/mediaLibrary/190/Radio_Project_Overview_1.pdf

https://imageserv11.team-logic.com/...ct_Public_Hearing_Presentation-April_2015.pdf

EAST HADDAM EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT

RADIO PROJECT OVERVIEW

Background:

 Project discussions began after the severe communication challenges faced during Hurricane Irene.

 Committee began meeting in early 2012.

 April 2012 the Committee sent out an RFP, interviewed three vendors and Tactical Communications was selected.

 Town has been working with the Department of Public Safety (DPS) for space on the Mt. Parnassus tower site. Access to this site will provide the Town a substantial annual cost savings in rent ($40,000-70,000/year.)

 A review of surrounding town systems was completed as well as a cost review of recently installed systems:

o Guilford (49 square miles)—$2.5 Million

o Old Saybrook (15 square miles)—$2.8 Million

o Waterford (32 square miles)—$7.5 Million

o Groton (45 square miles)—$1 Million (1 channel upgrade to existing system)

o Clinton (19 square miles)—$3.4 Million

o New London (11 square miles)—$2.5 Million (add on to existing system)

 Documented system issues :

o Daily dispatch/communication issues with Fire and EMS calls being received by responders–PUBLIC SAFETY ISSUE.

o EXTREMELY limited communications between members and dispatch center when responding to calls–RESPONDER SAFETY ISSUE.

o Difficulty with interoperability when providing or receiving mutual aid with other towns because most have switched away from low band 1950’s technology (frequency band that East Haddam Fire, Ambulance, PW and Town Government currently uses.)

 Findings of initial RFP system technical review :

o East Haddam terrain and size (57 square miles) makes any system design a challenge.

o A multi-site system will be needed to meet coverage requirements (several sites in town were surveyed and studied to get best coverage for the least cost).

o Based on the initial RFP coverage requirements the system construction would be financially impossible for the town to support at this time ($4 to $5 million estimate.)

o Finding suitable frequencies to support the system would also be very difficult.

 After review of the initial findings the committee revised the scope of the project to include :

o Reduce the coverage requirements due to initial coverage requirements being cost prohibitive.

o Continue to use low band system for Ambulance out of town comunications and system backup.

o Hired a consultant to coordinate frequency licensing.

o Migrate to a multi-site system over a two to three year time period.

 In August 2014 the committee provided both the BOS and BOF with a project update and anticipated cost for the system.

Current Status:

 Through working with consultant the Town has been licensed on four frequencies at two sites (Mt Parnassus and River House).

 The Town has a construction deadline of August 2015 for two of the frequencies and November 2015 for the remaining two frequencies. If construction is not completed, we will lose these frequencies.

 The Town is working with the DPS on the construction of the Mt. Parnassus site. The DPS has provided us an estimated tower construction completion date of August 2015.

 If funding is approved and equipment can be purchased, the DPS vendor will mount all antennas and cable for the town as part of their installation (approximately $20,000 savings.)

 Committee is in a holding pattern until funding can be secured.

Recommendations:

 After an analysis of the current East Haddam system, the committee is requesting $2,100,000 ($700,000/phase) in funding to improve the overall response to calls for assistance as well as to address the safety issues associated with the current lack of reliable communications for our first responders.

 This project will be completed in a three phase approach to allow the committee to meet the construction requirements of the FCC, to work with the DPS to benefit from a substantial cost savings and to continue to investigate additional opportunities to provide the best radio coverage possible within the current budget restraints.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Interesting to see East Haddam come off low band, while MDSX dispatch is still low band and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Look at what's around them
46.1800 - Mdsx Fire - PL 141.3
46.4400 - Chester FD - PL 141.3
46.3600 - Clinton FD - PL 141.3
46.0800 - Deep River FD - PL 141.3
46.0400 - Essex FD - PL 141.3
46.1400 - Middletown FD Ops - PL 141.3
46.3200 - MTown/Westfeld FD - PL 141.3
46.2000 - Westbrook FD Disp - PL 141.3
46.4000 - Westbrook FD Ops - PL 141.3

Lyme/Old Lyme went to UHF, but are still on 33mhz, Waterford is 800/P25, but still on 33mhz. Wonder why Mdsx went 46mhz and New London went 33mhz , would have made sense for the two counties to be on the same low band range.

But anyway, curious to see if East Haddam keeps its low band as they change their radio system.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
They probably will until they work the bugs out of the new system and maybe they will get a dual band radio to civer both ranges

sefrischling

There are no low band dual band radios ... I've looked quite a few times. Probably keep low band for paging and mutual aid.

w1haf

Waterford only uses low band for their old pagers to alert the volunteers until they come up with a replacement system.

sefrischling

Waterford only uses low band for their old pagers to alert the volunteers until they come up with a replacement system.

This is what I meant, I have Wtfd on the 800 Astro Saber, but generally hear the tone out on the lowband, via the old scanner next to my bed just used for the LowBand around here, Wtfd, Lyme/Old Lyme, Salem, Mdsx etc.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Interesting to see East Haddam come off low band, while MDSX dispatch is still low band and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Look at what's around them
46.1800 - Mdsx Fire - PL 141.3
46.4400 - Chester FD - PL 141.3
46.3600 - Clinton FD - PL 141.3
46.0800 - Deep River FD - PL 141.3
46.0400 - Essex FD - PL 141.3
46.1400 - Middletown FD Ops - PL 141.3
46.3200 - MTown/Westfeld FD - PL 141.3
46.2000 - Westbrook FD Disp - PL 141.3
46.4000 - Westbrook FD Ops - PL 141.3

Lyme/Old Lyme went to UHF, but are still on 33mhz, Waterford is 800/P25, but still on 33mhz. Wonder why Mdsx went 46mhz and New London went 33mhz , would have made sense for the two counties to be on the same low band range.

But anyway, curious to see if East Haddam keeps its low band as they change their radio system.

Middletown City, South Fire District, Westfield and Westbrook all operate on VHF and re-broadcast out on the low band for pagers and county interoperability. They all have been on VHF-high band for quite some time. As for Chester, Deep River, Essex and Clinton, I'm not sure if they have VHF-high or UHF repeaters. I would have to defer that to Kevin, he'll know better.

sefrischling

I know the FDs all have VHF, but from where I listen, in Niantic, I only pick up the Low Band.

I believe Essex, Deep River, Chester and Clinton are all on UHF for fireground, but I believe all low band for dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.