East Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

af4ms

As part of my shack I have maintained two analog scanners. I feel it is time to move into the digital age. I have been in the process of converting some of my ham to be digital capable and now I need to address the scanners. It is difficult to tell what is dark and what is not on digital.

So, my question is the following. Of the known digital in east Tennessee what is not being scrambled? Historically I have listened to the sevierville area, including pigeon forge and gatlinburg. I think they are digital now. At one time, I was able to get grainger county as well.

Who digital/unscrambled and what radio/features are needed to be able to monitor? I think some in sevier county are p25 phase II, but I am unclear who is actually on nexedge and who is encrypted. the do is a little vague on that issue.

So, instead of spending a few more hours trying to hack through my rtl-sdr on the control channels, I figured it would be much faster to ask.

Who is getting what and how? And what radios are best for the job?

Thanks much in advance.

Doug

Hit_Factor

Here is the Sevier County page.

Start there and then explore other county entries of interest.

Follow the link to TACN. That's the digital network for public safety. It's a P25 system, any scanner you choose will need this capability.

Look in the mode columns D means digital, DE means digital encrypted. If it's DE, there is no way to monitor it.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
And T TDMA TE TDMA Encrypted and can not be heard. Most of Sevier is on a NXDN NexEDGE system and encrypted. Knox is TACN, all law enforcement encrypted.

af4ms

And T TDMA TE TDMA Encrypted and can not be heard. Most of Sevier is on a NXDN NexEDGE system and encrypted. Knox is TACN, all law enforcement encrypted.

How about Pigeon Forge, the database seems to reference it is mode D. Or am I reading it wrong?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Pigeon Forge has moved over to the TACN, which is an P25 Phase II system but operates in "Dual Dynamic Mode" which allows both FDMA (D, De, DE), and TDMA (T, Te, TE) until all users transition to full TDMA use. PFFD mainly is on the NexEDGE system, and thus you can't hear them as Public Safety on that system is encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.