Eastern Panhandle Law Enforcement on WIRN

Status
Not open for further replies.

qball007

Is anyone succcessfully scanning Jefferson County LE Agencies on WIRN? Charles Town, Ranson, Harpers Ferry, etc.? I am using an SDS 100, and able to receive JeffCo SO, Fire and EMS on, but havent heard in local law enforcement. Thanks for any feedback!

Brian

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
You need to make sure that your SDS100 is set up to scan service types like "Law Talk". By default it may not be set up that way. So, even if you have the talkgroups programmed in, it might not stop on them.

You can set which service types are scanned in Sentinel (but I can't tell ya how to do that). You can also do the same on the scanner itself.

Menu --> Select Service Types --> make sure Law Dispatch, Law Tac and Law Talk are on.

And keep in mind that some of the local PD private channels (as well as SO private) are encrypted and you won't hear them anyway.

You should go to West Virginia Statewide Interoperability Radio Network (SIRN) Trunking System, Statewide, West Virginia - Scanner Frequencies and then scroll down to the Jefferson County (19) (Law) Talkgroups. Make sure you have them programmed in (although the DE talkgroups are encrypted and there is no use programming them in).

Mike

PS: It's SIRN, or more appropriately WVSIRN. It is not "WIRN"

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Adding to what mtindor said, be sure you are monitoring the two RF sites in Jefferson County. If you are too far away and trying to hear them from let's say, three counties away, those sites probably aren't passing radio traffic from that far away due to system design for capacity and loading.

qball007

Thanks for the quick response, and the correction on WVSIRN. I have all of my LAW Service Types set to on, and have the Kearnysville and Mt Weather System Frequencies listed for Jefferson County programmed, as well as Berkely County. I'm also scanning from Jefferson County - Charles Town, so I shouldn't have an issue with distance. I'm guessing its simply that they are private.

Still somewhat new to this scanner, and need to learn more about the digital systems. Thanks for your help and feedback!

Brian

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm in Stephens City VA, and can hear plenty of LE traffic from SIRN on the Martinsburg and Mt. Weather sites.

Delete and re-import the entire system from the database, and don't avoid or delete anything in SIRN except the "Statewide Portable Site" and "WVRRT Portable Site". AVOID them, they are only used in emergencies where the normal sites are down. Enable Location Control in your Favorite List, and look up your GPS coordinates with Google Maps and enter them in Sentinel. Your scanner should scan the Kearneysville, Martinsburg, and Mt Weather sites, and you should hear plenty of LE traffic.

atlong

Database Admin
These talkgroups are alive and well. Make sure you've programmed in Jeff Law: 1507 and Jeff Service: 1509. All police/sheriff agencies are on Jeff Law. Also, make sure you're scanning Berkeley County: Martinsburg and Jefferson County: Kearneysville sites, as both sites carry both county's traffic. I don't believe Mt Weather carries any traffic except for the simulcast Frederick County, VA VHF traffic.

qball007

Thanks again guys! Made some changes as recommended. Seems to be picking up more traffic already!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There's plenty to hear, I can hear Martinsburg PD, Berkeley and Jefferson County Sheriff, WVSP, and other stuff as well from my location.

Status
Not open for further replies.