Eastern Riverside County Interoperable Communications Authority (ERICA) Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot58

To encrypt or not to encrypt...

I can see both sides of the argument. As a citizen I'd like to know that non-LEO's can monitor that the police are doing their jobs properly. From a LEO standpoint though, it is both dangerous and distracting if media arrive at a scene before LEO's can assess the situation. At a press meeting last week, the press actually had the gall to say that they were "first responders," which is why they felt they should be able to monitor. I don't see the press running into burning buildings to save people, or drawing guns to take out the bad guys.

As for the primary talk group being or not being encrypted, that will normally be the first place you hear (unplanned) incidents start. If appropriate then dispatch may move them to a different talk group.

Allowing scanner listeners to monitor also means that the BG's (bad guys) can monitor.

As I heard it Patriot, the television guys showed up for that meeting with no cameras and no on-air reporters, just news directors ready to challenge law enforcement over what I presume were constitutional points. Wrong forum for that, for sure. My radio guy showed up with a mic, tape deck and interviewed some of the players after the television guys went home. The next day, I suggested to him that when he next sees the police, he ask if they might please consider the leased-portables as plan C. A small station can't drop $6,900.00, but I could personally swing $30 a month for a lease.

I wasn't in that room, but you're not the first source I've heard say the news directors claimed status as first responders. For eight-plus years, I was a state certified RCOFD volunteer firefighter (first responder, then emt) at a very busy station. My shift was from noon - 10pm several days a week, after I got off the air from my 6 am to 10 am radio news shift. When I turned 50, my knees told me "no mas!" So now, I am not a first responder... as aren't my colleagues in television.

Patriot58

The next day, I suggested to him that when he next sees the police, he ask if they might please consider the leased-portables as plan C.

My understanding is that the purchase won't be made through the PD or ERICA, but individually by each party that wants a radio. If they want to negotiate a lease vs purchase, that would be between the purchaser and the vendor (whether Motorola, ComSerCo, or whoever.) ERICA's only involvement will be authorizing the template to be programmed and to key-in the encryption key.

monitor142

Patriot58,
I agree with what you said. I'm on both sides too but as a radio system manager and a civilian monitor that would like to keep tabs on the law enforcement activity in my neighborhood. Here in the OC, well that just isn't going to happen. Thanks for your view point and participation. Good luck with the new system. I hope it's everything that /\/\ promised and more!

-M142

I can see both sides of the argument. As a citizen I'd like to know that non-LEO's can monitor that the police are doing their jobs properly. From a LEO standpoint though, it is both dangerous and distracting if media arrive at a scene before LEO's can assess the situation. At a press meeting last week, the press actually had the gall to say that they were "first responders," which is why they felt they should be able to monitor. I don't see the press running into burning buildings to save people, or drawing guns to take out the bad guys.

As for the primary talk group being or not being encrypted, that will normally be the first place you hear (unplanned) incidents start. If appropriate then dispatch may move them to a different talk group.

Allowing scanner listeners to monitor also means that the BG's (bad guys) can monitor.

SCPD

QRT
From the land of encryption...the OC. At least I can monitor Fire and the dog catcher too ; ) -M142

This brings up something I've often wondered. How does the Orange County Register or the OC bureaus of the L.A. TV stations keep up with police activity? Were they offerred a similar buy/lease deal like the media out in PS, or do they stumble along like the rest of us?

Dave
KA6TJF

brandon

Database Admin
Well, we're an hour into it. Any talkgroup info yet? I'm sure somebody in the desert can run trunker for us :cool:

nd6mm

ERICA encryption

I am a former Coachella Valley radio news director. While I never considered news people as "first responders," I question the need for encryption of police main channels on this system.

The ERICA administrators have offered to supply the news media with radios that can decrypt the main channels -- at a fee of $6,918.20 per unit! BTW, they say, don't push the transmit button or the privilege could be revoked. Kinda like saying, here's a gun with a bullet in the chamber, don't pull the trigger. OK, that's a little extreme, but you get the point.

There must be alternatives to encrypting main channels. Perhaps they can encrypt auxiliary channels, and I would have no problem with that for sensitive operations. Many cops I know use cell phones if they really want to keep things private. I was in the valley for 27 years and I can count on the fingers of one hand instances where reporters arriving on scene substantially interfered with an incident or investigation.

As for "bad guys" listening in while committing crimes, many "good guys" do the same and have helped law enforcement make arrests.

ERICA has many pluses, like interoperability. But when it comes to encryption, well, these are still public airwaves and taxpayers support public safety agencies. I don't think decrypted main channels, representing a "peephole in the fence" for the public -- is too much to ask.

monitor142

They have the stale (and delayed) OCSD CAD web site, folks calling in news tips, but I'm sure that the PIO's from each department have bulk email lists that they use to send information to their media contacts that would be interested. If I recall, OC's fix was originally to have a analog simulcast of Red before the digital scanners became popular (Old 7596). Now with the proliferation of digital scanners, they turned that off and only have the digital group (50720). As far as I know, NO media outlets that are in this market have a leased, borrowed, or purchased encrypted digital OC 800MHz radios to monitor law enforcement.

-M142

This brings up something I've often wondered. How does the Orange County Register or the OC bureaus of the L.A. TV stations keep up with police activity? Were they offerred a similar buy/lease deal like the media out in PS, or do they stumble along like the rest of us?

Dave
KA6TJF

SCPD

QRT
They have the stale (and delayed) OCSD CAD web site, folks calling in news tips, but I'm sure that the PIO's from each department have bulk email lists that they use to send information to their media contacts that would be interested. If I recall, OC's fix was originally to have a analog simulcast of Red before the digital scanners became popular (Old 7596). Now with the proliferation of digital scanners, they turned that off and only have the digital group (50720). As far as I know, NO media outlets that are in this market have a leased, borrowed, or purchased encrypted digital OC 800MHz radios to monitor law enforcement.

-M142

Thanks.

Dave
KA6TJF

Kingscup

Feed Provider
RVC fire is not going to ERICA. It would not make sense anyways. Units in the ERICA area on that system and the rest of the county on it's current system. Interoperability would be be decreased. RVC fire isn't even going to RSOs new radio system. It is being used for data but it will use it's current system for voice traffic.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Last time I paid any attention to County Fire, they were planning on expanding their VHF presence, and adding data via the PSEC system. VHF is still the best option for interoperability among fire agencies in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.