Eastern Riverside County Interoperable Communications Authority (ERICA) Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
ERICA officials have petitioned the FCC, to grant them an STA for three additional frequencies. Once this STA is granted, they plan to activate the system to begin testing. Here is a letter to the FCC, detailing their plans.

73s

Ron

Thunderbolt

The STA request was returned by the FCC. I am sure they will reapply for another STA extension. Once granted, this TRS should come online.

73s

Ron

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
Thanks for the updates Ron.
I am looking forward to logging this system.

monitor142

ERICA construction is continuing. Apparently one of their sites (unknown which one) had the road washed out and they are working on fixing it to gain site access and complete construction. Unknown when it will be live, Motorola probably still needs to complete its Acceptance Test Plan (ATP) before it's turned over to the owners.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
In the process of being installed. They're still nailing down the channel licensing (fitting a new system into a developed spectral environment can be challenging!).

Thunderbolt

(fitting a new system into a developed spectral environment can be challenging!).

Southern California has always been an RF jungle, so I can imagine this is going to be a tight squeeze. Hopefully, the 700 MHz band will alleviate some of the congestion out there. I know many Eastern states are looking forward to this band becoming available.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Southern California has always been an RF jungle, so I can imagine this is going to be a tight squeeze. Hopefully, the 700 MHz band will alleviate some of the congestion out there. I know many Eastern states are looking forward to this band becoming available.

Time will tell. A number of agencies are looking at 700 MHz for spectrum relief.

Don

Patriot58

Coverage Testing begins next Week

The system is up and working, being used daily by the implementation team for communications and testing. Coverage testing vehicles will deploy on Monday for the Coverage Acceptance Test. Woo-hoo! Forward progress is being made.

Thunderbolt

The system is up and working, being used daily by the implementation team for communications and testing. Coverage testing vehicles will deploy on Monday for the Coverage Acceptance Test. Woo-hoo! Forward progress is being made.

Would you happen to have a System ID, and WACN for this system? Likewise, what frequency is the data channel operating on?

Thank you!

Ron

Patriot58

ERICA Simulcast Info

ERICA Simulcast Info (Indio Hill and Edom Hill)
Sys ID: 0356H
WACN: BEE00
Control Channels: 859.4875, 859.2125, 857.2625, 856.2625

Most talk groups are encrypted, except for a few public works TG's, so I'm not sure how much you'll hear.

brandon

Database Admin
Hi Patriot58, Thanks for the info about the ERICA system. Would you by any chance know the status of Beaumont moving to ERICA. I assume they'll also be encrypted. The way of the future I guess.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Brandon, word I have from someone who would know is that Beaumont has indeed signed onto ERICA, but encryption didn't enter into the conversation. No timeline was discussed, either.

Patriot58

Beaumont

Hi Patriot58, Thanks for the info about the ERICA system. Would you by any chance know the status of Beaumont moving to ERICA. I assume they'll also be encrypted. The way of the future I guess.

The cities will come online as: Palm Springs, Indio, Cathedral City/Desert Hot Springs, and finally Beaumont (hopefully by year-end.)

It's ready

KESQ ran this story on ERICA.

New Digital Radio System Phased In For Valley Police - Local News Story - KESQ Palm Springs

It will rollout Monday, but I just heard PSPD advising a unit on their unencrypted system to contact another unit "on the ERICA radio."

The press can obtain an authorized receiver from law enforcement for about $6K. Remember when RSO went EDACS? They offered us leases on portables for $360 a year. Now, THAT's inflation!

Patriot58

Monday is the day...

It's no secret now, so I can talk about it. PSPD cuts over to the new system at 11:30 am on 8/2/10. They're just finishing up the 30-day test this week, and the system is working well. Because of a media outcry, they'll be allowed to purchase radios on the system through Motorola or the local shop, and will be allowed to listen to the primary PD talkgroup (encrypted) of each city.

monitor142

While expensive, nice to see that the ERICA user agencies aren't going to "hide" behind encryption and shut out the media. Makes you wonder if encrypting their Primary talkgroup is really necessary. Tacs are fine but the Primary talkgroup???

From the land of encryption...the OC. At least I can monitor Fire and the dog catcher too ; )

-M142

Status
Not open for further replies.