Easy battery case question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcopolo456

Hi all. Am I correct in assuming that in order to turn a yellow, rechargeable battery case into a black alkaline battery case, all you need to do is cover the third - recharge - contact with a little electrical tape? I just acquired a used Pro-106 on ebay, and it came with only a yellow battery case. I want to leave it plugged in most of the time (with rechargeable batteries in the case), and I don't want the re-charge circuitry to be active, thereby eliminating any possibility of a melting, overheating, accident. (By the way, I stopped into my local RS this morning to try to order a black battery case, and the young clerk had zero idea of what I was talking about. I remember a time when you almost had to have an EE degree to work at 'the Shack :)

n5ims

Best to remove the batteries when the radio's plugged in. The radio you save may be your own. http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...2345-pro-106-battery-explosion-well-leak.html

You are correct that the third connection is for the charging circuitry and in theory covering it should do the trick. Trouble is, moving the battery around could puncture (or scrape off) the tape and you probably won't know it until the meltdown. Also, folks have reported issues even using the black holder (apparently bumps or being too quick when inserting the battery pack into the radio can cause the charging pin to move enough to connect to the power pin).

Both the black and yellow cases are on eBay fairly often which may be the easiest way to find them. The same cases have been used in many of the RS (and GRE) branded scanners so one from the Pro-95, 96, 97, and many others will work in your 106.

ronhl

I use an external charger and don't leave batteries in when running ex. power.
Also have the radios internal charger disabled as a precaution.
Prog.-Glob-Battery.. set to Alkaline

Status
Not open for further replies.