TRX-2: Easy method for importing and splitting P25's into multiple scanlists

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddatkins

Premium Subscriber
The trial and error way I ended up doing mine is that I imported the entire P25 system into scanlist 001.

1. I went through and clicked on most all the trunk ID's that I knew I wasn't interested in, and clicked "REMOVE", *not* delete. Better not to click delete, just remove.

2. Then I highlighted --either ctrl-click each one or shift-crtl-clk entire bunches of rows-- all of the Sheriff's (or whatever you want) trunk IDs, having first pulled up the RRef PDF showing what's what. Then (and here is the cool trick) I clicked once on the last column in the scanlist (column 12) that is called "scanlist" and when the "select scanlist" comes up, I uncheck 01, and click 02, thus immediately putting all (selected) Sheriff trunk IDs in Scanlist 002.

3. Then you will notice that once you've unchecked the Sheriff trunk IDs from the select scanlist "01" box and checked the "02" box, they are no longer located in the 01 scanlist, they are in scanlist 002 only. Cool!

4. Go into "General Settings" and name the 02 Alpha Tag "Sheriff" or whatever you want.

5. Go back and repeat step #2 for the next group (for me it's City Police), and on down the line until the only thing left in your 01 scanlist is your favorite group (for me it's State Police), and odd things you don't like or use.

6. The key is NOT to click "DELETE" for the odd things you don't like, but to merely highlight them all and click "REMOVE".

7. Once you've got all your scanlists sorted and Alpa Tags renamed. You can also rename your Trunk ID's in each scanlist if you like (I like to do this because some of the database names are cryptic). The RRef PDF of your P25 will help with this.

8. Then you can go into each scanlist, highlight every trunk ID and click on any Bkl/LED box, and dial it in according to preference and it will change the entire scanlist. Same with "alert" like Chirp or what have you. I have all my TAC and Narcotics trunk IDs set to chirp, because it perks me up to listen closer. I also set my priority trunk ID's (PRI) at this point.

9. I learned all this through trial and error because I'm a stubborn old mule who refuses to read the manual. I messed up many times trying to delete trunk IDs from various scanlists, etc. And coming close once or twice to packing the whole thing up and sending it back. Once I figured it out, I was a kid in a candy store. This unit is brilliant, and I love it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what scanner you are using, but there are too many steps and chances for errors. Using the RR database and my software, it takes me about 15-20 minutes to create 8 to 10 new lists and upload them to my scanner. Using the Zip Code or County name cuts the time down to less than half. Anything I get that I don't want I simply lock out.

toddatkins

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what scanner you are using, but there are too many steps and chances for errors. Using the RR database and my software, it takes me about 15-20 minutes to create 8 to 10 new lists and upload them to my scanner. Using the Zip Code or County name cuts the time down to less than half. Anything I get that I don't want I simply lock out.

You must be misreading, my friend. Or maybe I didn't do such a good job of describing the process. It's super easy. I download and get a huge P25 - the entire Louisiana system, and get it sliced up, named proper, and color coded in 10 minutes.

I'd be interested to hear your procedure for creating lists. Do tell.

rwier

If your software is similar to EZScan for the 800, do the following:

Import to NO SCANLIST/S SELECTED, which puts the imported objects into the Unassigned Objects Scanlist (hidden just above Scanlist#1). There, they are easily distributed to the previously named Scanlist/s of your choice.

gwbaker

I plan to post once i have the time to try your method. Thanks for offering it up.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
When i loaded all the scann list into the scanner and so forth i clicked on menu , then press scan then press the right arrow it says nothing to scan but when i click on scanlists right below scan i see all my scanlists that i created as well. I have the whistler 1095 and i DO NOT LIKE IT!!!!!! but i won on a bid here on e bay for $269 used. wished i had not bid on it.. I hate the ez scan software that i am forced to use.. Why wont whistler let a 3rd party make one that is easier to use?

toddatkins

Premium Subscriber
When i loaded all the scann list into the scanner and so forth i clicked on menu , then press scan then press the right arrow it says nothing to scan but when i click on scanlists right below scan i see all my scanlists that i created as well. I have the whistler 1095 and i DO NOT LIKE IT!!!!!! but i won on a bid here on e bay for $269 used. wished i had not bid on it.. I hate the ez scan software that i am forced to use.. Why wont whistler let a 3rd party make one that is easier to use?

Yoh, Cap'm. This thread is for the TRX-2. Can't help you with the 1095.

D

darunimal

It's directly evolved from the GRE PSR-800, the family includes the RS Pro-668, the WS1080, WS1088, WS1095, WS1098

Status
Not open for further replies.