Easy to Read Scanner Manuals

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I just saw on scannermaster.com that they are offering easy to read manuals for scanners of all different brands. Isn't it pretty interesting that you spend 400 to 500 bucks on a high tech scanner and then if you can't program it because you might need a little help that you still have to spend 30 bucks plus shipping to get a proper manual to program your scanner. Shame on anybody that ever will buy one of these.

Dont waste your money on that junk. Hopefully this thread gets to the people of Uniden and GRE and get your crap together and publish manuals that should of come with all of your models of scanners that you sell to the general public. How imbarassing that somebody is trying to profit from something that should of already been done.

How disappointing that companies sell such a very expensive unit and can't provide instructions. I just bought a 50 dollar charger for my handheld scanner because the battery life is horrible and I got detailed instructions on a 50 dollar charger.

Last edited:

W6KRU

The Easier to Read manuals are produced by an individual who is a member of this board. He does a fine job on the manuals he creates and is an asset to the community. He deserves every dollar he gets for the creation of these manuals.

Yes, GRE and Uniden should be ashamed of the fact that a third party can produce a manual that is far superior to the crap that their employees produce.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Then this person that created the third party manuals should sell his manuals to GRE and Uniden and then in return has GRE and Uniden post these manuals on their website in PDF format so the rest of us can download it with no charge since this financial burden should be put on the manufacturer not the consumer.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Only if you have a source for free paper and ink.

Yeah, it's called work!! LOL

Seriously though, the easier to read manuals were a godsend when I bought my BC346XT and then my PRO-106. Even though I use software, I still prefer to program my scanners by hand, and I was able to understand Mark's manuals much better than anything that came from Uniden or RS/GRE.

:)

KK4HG

Premium Subscriber
Then this person that created the third party manuals should sell his manuals to GRE and Uniden and then in return has GRE and Uniden post these manuals on their website in PDF format so the rest of us can download it with no charge since this financial burden should be put on the manufacturer not the consumer.

ANY financial burden placed upon a manufacturer is ALWAYS passed on to the consumer.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Then this person that created the third party manuals should sell his manuals to GRE and Uniden and....

Uhhhh, how do you think this should work? Have YOU ever tried to "sell anything to a company"? :roll:

The company has to invest cost and infrastructure to provide this with every scanner. It has to pass thru their legal department, I'm sure, and be vetted relative to liability, risk managment, etc.. They also have to invest time and money to proof it for accuracy. THEN, they have to pay to have them printed up and packaged, with the units, and pay for all that. Then, oh yeah, they gotta pay they individual that wrote it.

Guess where they re-koop all of that expense... that's right, YOU when you buy it.

It has been my experience that the folks that scream the loudest about this type of thing are hte LAST person to KNOWINGLY shell out an additonal $5 per unit to have this. This is a competitive, and relatively small market, when compared with other consumer goods (in terms of unit cost).

Just like all of the folks that comaplain about "made in china" and do all of their shopping at ChinaMart (Walmart) because the "mom and pop" up the road charges $0.30 more for the simliar item. That ship has sailed long ago. It is almost impossible to find domestically manufactured, non-durable, consumer goods any more, much less durable ones.

You don't just call and say "BUY THIS FROM ME NOW, or ELSE!".

The author, graciously, offers this up on-line for free, and there is a possibility to purchase a printed one from scannermaster. He is, most likely, doing it out of enthusiasm and enjoyment of the hobby, and providing a service to every user.

Be grateful you have it on-line, and just deal with it.

Should the manufacturers provide this on their own? YES

Do they anymore? Generally, NO

Is this unfortuneate? YES

Just my $0.05

Status
Not open for further replies.