Eau Claire County Sheriff

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
Logged onto the DB this morning and saw that ECSO made the jump to P25. I have a few questions if anyone from the area would like to answer as I don't get to visit often.

1. Do they have any plans for encryption in the future or currently?

2. Is the new P25 system LSM like Clark county or is it C4FM?

3. Is the old analog system still alive or did they completely take it offline? I know lots of areas that keep the analog repeater up in conjunction with the P25 repeater even if it's rarely used.

4. Do neighboring counties still using analog have any plans to move to their own P25 or WISCOM?

I'll be in the area soon for something else but I'll bring some radios with me and report any extra findings.

akuter

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure of the diagnostics yet.
It is a very strong signal. RACOM was on Tues 12/12 at 12pm.
shhh, on the E. P25 is just getting started here.
In an apt, not so much for a ext annt.
Work is 12hs, not so much time for radio.
Following......

Last edited:

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
Not sure of anything but I do know that the Eau Claire city budget does have money appropriated for ECPD to be encrypted. Not sure if 100% or if they will have the ability to encrypt when needed. And not sure on the timing of the dreaded E.

I don't think Chippewa has any plans for P25 anytime soon. However as new sheriffs get elected plans can change quickly!! Not sure on other counties as well.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
Do you have the audio type set to something other than analog? Is the frequency correct (154.875)? Do you hear anything if you try to listen to it in analog mode? If you have a NAC set, is it correct (900)?

Depending on location simulcast distortion could also be a big factor. My WS1040 had little issue with the system, and my SDS100 and Motorola radios worked flawlessly.

It could also be possible there's not any activity on the county sheriff frequency. Any rural area is going to be sporadic with activity, so you may not always hear anything during a given time frame.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
programed in my bcd536 and can not hear anything
Anything older than the SDS100/200 is going to be a terrible performer on P25 simulcast. Try making the antenna system much worse for your scanner and see if you start hearing anything...you have lose reception of multiple sites if you have any chance of good decode.

DJ090788

1702862939504.png
this is what is set on sentinel and loaded it to my 536 from radio reference. I'll try analog and see what happens.

ECAR1000

Logged onto the DB this morning and saw that ECSO made the jump to P25. I have a few questions if anyone from the area would like to answer as I don't get to visit often.

1. Do they have any plans for encryption in the future or currently?

2. Is the new P25 system LSM like Clark county or is it C4FM?

3. Is the old analog system still alive or did they completely take it offline? I know lots of areas that keep the analog repeater up in conjunction with the P25 repeater even if it's rarely used.

4. Do neighboring counties still using analog have any plans to move to their own P25 or WISCOM?

I'll be in the area soon for something else but I'll bring some radios with me and report any extra findings.
I turned my analog scanner on yesterday Feb. 7th, 2024 and was hearing noises on 154.875 which had been analog until now. It sounds as if it has now gone digital, just as EC city's freq did some time ago. So now I can't hear city OR county. The noise I hear on the county freq is the same as on the city freq, so I guess it's digital now.
I'm not a heavy scanner-listener any more, but I wonder if other city/county services will also be encrypted (fire/ambulance, etc). My old analog scanner may soon be worthless.
Do governments digitize freqs. eventually for all government services, or just the police/sheriff ones?

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
I turned my analog scanner on yesterday Feb. 7th, 2024 and was hearing noises on 154.875 which had been analog until now. It sounds as if it has now gone digital, just as EC city's freq did some time ago. So now I can't hear city OR county. The noise I hear on the county freq is the same as on the city freq, so I guess it's digital now.
I'm not a heavy scanner-listener any more, but I wonder if other city/county services will also be encrypted (fire/ambulance, etc). My old analog scanner may soon be worthless.
Do governments digitize freqs. eventually for all government services, or just the police/sheriff ones?
Yes they have gone digital, but there is no encryption used by the City or County. Digital does not mean encryption, encryption can be applied to a digital or analog signal if desired by an agency.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North

Depends on funding and infrastructure. Some DPWs/Hwy depts I've seen are digital, although usually they're DMR if they're standalone or P25 if they're part of the area trunked system (city/county/etc.). Otherwise they're usually analog.

allpointsbulletin

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know if P25 should also be used instead of analogue for other related Eau Claire CO Sheriff frequencies such as tactical (154.950), Jail (154.800), Baliffs (154.785)? If not, what would be the point of having a hybrid system where dispatch is digital but tactical frequency is analogue?