Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I find them on ebay
Link?
Icom FAB02AR
EUR 32,81+ EUR 22,43 ~55€ + 20% Import Tax +..... way to much.
Because RF will not go through holes in metal that are smaller than 1/2-wavelength or so. A standard aircraft window will let in 1090MHz signals, but will not pass anything in the VHF band.
ok I will try what I could receive. So maybe Sat Signals are the better solution? *gg*.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You were already given an idea for a cheap but workable antenna in this thread.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Buying a piece of coax and cutting it to a particular length isn't going to cost anywhere near that much.

D

DaveNF2G

How is using an SDR so stealthy that an antenna would give it away? Can't anybody see the computer that is running the SDR?

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
How is using an SDR so stealthy that an antenna would give it away?
"stealthy" just mean in my eyes just that the Flight attendants dont drive insane and cool the Bomb Squad (again) when the see my gear.
Can't anybody see the computer that is running the SDR?
99,99% on an Airplane dont know and understand what the see. So i run my ADSB Stuff with the moving Aircraft and nobody care about.

D

DaveNF2G

Seems to me that the OP is trying to get away with doing things on a commercial airliner that are prohibited by regulations anyway.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
With regards to using PED (Personal Electronic Devices) aboard aircraft, every regulatory agency is going to have thier own guidance and regulations. Since the OP is in Europe (I'm assuming), then he should research thier guidelines.

I'm only somewhat up to date on FAA guidelines and regulations. Generally speaking, it is up to the operator (Airline or Pilot In Command) to allow/disallow PEDs. WiFi enabled devices are allowed because the WiFi system has been extensively tested and approved for aircraft use. This is why you can use your phones and tablets in WiFi only mode.

Now, is the OP's device going to cause interference? Maybe, maybe not. Since it hasn't been extensively tested by (or on behalf of) a regulatory agency, then there is no clear way of knowing.

However, if the flight crew says switch it off and pack it up, game over.

Status
Not open for further replies.