eBay Listing BCT15 in a 996P2 housing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillham

Feed Provider

What do you guys think? I thought the backlight colors are Red, Green, Blue, Magenta, Cyan, Yellow, and White. That looks pretty amber/orange to me..

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
What do you guys think? I thought the backlight colors are Red, Green, Blue, Magenta, Cyan, Yellow, and White. That looks pretty amber/orange to me..

I think either the display color is a little 'off', or it's just the picture.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Looking at the back of the radio, the BCT15X has a green REC jack and the BCD996P2 has a black REC jack, just like the EXT SPKR jack. Also it's hard to see in the picture but the BCT15X has a white nylon insulator around the 3-pin 12V power plug.

Good thing you caught it! Someone else here on RR ran into that but I think he bought it before finding out. You should contact Ebay's fraud department!

BCT15X

BCD996P2

Last edited:

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the back of the radio, the BCT15X has a green REC jack and the BCD996P2 has a black REC jack, just like the EXT SPKR jack.

And the picture in the auction of the back of the scanner shows two black jacks, not one green and one black.

Good thing you caught it! Someone else here on RR ran into that but I think he bought it before finding out. You should contact Ebay's fraud department!

Seriously? The seller is a long-time eBay member with 100% positive feedback. Maybe contact him/her and ask why the display looks the wrong color instead?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
And the picture in the auction of the back of the scanner shows two black jacks, not one green and one black.

Seriously? The seller is a long-time eBay member with 100% positive feedback. Maybe contact him/her and ask why the display looks the wrong color instead?

Yes. The seller might be the same guy that bought it previously and is trying to get rid of it. The display is the right color for a BCT15X. If he did nothing wrong he knows where it came from and he can go back at them, with the police!

N9JIG

Sheriff
The scanner in the picture is almost certainly a BCD996P2. The serial number on the label and the model number printed on the front and rear panels match as does the record jack. The buttons on the right of the display are the same as on the 996P2, the BCT15 buttons are different. Finally, the BCT15/15X has a Uniden serial port on the front, this radio (as do all 996P2's) has a USB-Mini port on the front panel.

The display color is probably set to RED at medium brightness. Sometimes that is almost exactly the same color as the orangeness of the BCT15X. Side by side they are almost indistinguishable. Individual radios tend to vary a little in color.

While it has happened that people have replaced the front panel of a BCT15 with that of a 996, replacing the labels on the back, button caps and the programming port is much more difficult and there seems to be no evidence of that here. I do not know the seller but I have no reason to think he might be dishonest with this listing.

Last edited:

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I have a 'P2 that the colors aren't right on it. One of the colors is not working, so when it "combines" them to make one, like clear, it comes across as beige or something.

gillham

Feed Provider
The scanner in the picture is almost certainly a BCD996P2. The serial number on the label and the model number printed on the front and rear panels match as does the record jack. The buttons on the right of the display are the same as on the 996P2, the BCT15 buttons are different. Finally, the BCT15/15X has a Uniden serial port on the front, this radio (as do all 996P2's) has a USB-Mini port on the front panel.

The display color is probably set to RED at medium brightness. Sometimes that is almost exactly the same color as the orangeness of the BCT15X. Side by side they are almost indistinguishable. Individual radios tend to vary a little in color.

While it has happened that people have replaced the front panel of a BCT15 with that of a 996, replacing the labels on the back, button caps and the programming port is much more difficult and there seems to be no evidence of that here. I do not know the seller but I have no reason to think he might be dishonest with this listing.

Oh duh, the USB port on the front is the dead giveaway. I've never taken apart a mobile - didn't know if the metal plate with the SN Sticker could be swapped as well.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

I stand corrected. I was almost certain the one on Ebay had a green REC OUT jack. But I just checked the red display on both my 996P2's and they don't come anywhere close to that color on the Ebay ad. I tried all the brightness level, completely different. Maybe someone should message him through Ebay and ask him for a new pic with a different color?

Rich could you please delete my post so as not to confuse everybody?

Thanks,
Bill

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

His account could have been hi-jacked. All his feedback except for one is over a year old.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Possible? Yes
Probable? No.

While it is always possible to do a board swap that does not seem to be an issue here.

There may be other differences internally between the 15X and 996P2.
The radio pictured is almost certainly a 996P2.

As far as the message, click the Report link and one of the mods with rights in this section can delete it for you, this sub-forum is not one that I moderate.

ilgrant

If it makes everyone feel better I bought a 996P2 from the link above before this thread started. You have nothing to worry about. (if someone is still following this 2 months after the last post). You'll get a 996P2.

Status
Not open for further replies.