EBAY TAX NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

allend

Premium Subscriber
So I went to go and purchase another SDS-200 tonight on Flee-Bay and now they are charging state tax now. Wow. It was going to be another 55 bucks for tax. Not sure if this has been talked about in other threads but just saw it.

So I went to Zipscanners and bought one for FREE shipping and NO Tax. Wow I guess the feds and the states closed the gap on EBAY not charging tax now. O well. Stay away from them. Just do back door deals with paypal invoicing now. Crazy

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yeah, I've been getting the tax charged a day or so after my purchases the last 3-4 months via PayPal, five bucks and change, a dollar fifty, small amounts taken out by eBay via PayPal so I Googled it and read that it was tax that eBay is authorized to deduct in a totally separate transaction. That is not going to go over well with some people when they get a $30 NSF charge because they maxed out their internet-dedicated card with the exact amount of a purchase, then get overdrawn 2 days later when eBay charges the account. Just more hands out taking your money. You have to pay to pay, I suppose. You want taxes from me? Fine, but go ahead and take it at the time of the purchase, not 2 days later accessing my account without my permission in a transaction that I am not aware of. Since when is it okay for someone to access my account on behalf of the federal or state government without my consent? Something wrong with that, folks.

Reactions: RRR

allend

Premium Subscriber
Yup. No more buying on EBAY. This is going to hurt the company really bad. This is always why I bought from good sellers on Ebay for no tax and free shipping. Going to use smaller companies now off of EBAY like ZipScanners.

• Haha
Reactions: RRR

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Don't think it's ebay fault. States seen a way to hit tax on online sales. In new Mexico a few p encilpushers had dream of taxing Facebook sales.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Actually eBay and Amazon pushed the online tax thing, on the theory that they are big enough to handle the overhead of developing software that can collect tax for thousands of jurisdictions, but smaller online retailers can't. Essentially a strategy to discourage competition.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
In Pennsylvania, online sales tax has been charged for several years. I remember Tom Corbett, as governor, making a stink about PA not getting sales tax from online sales. It's one of the reasons I stopped selling my photographs on Ebay.

marlin39a

Premium Subscriber
eBay started charging tax for Arizona purchases last month. I have been looking elsewhere. I've found I can just as well support the local brick and mortar stores now.

radio3353

eBay started charging tax for Arizona purchases last month. I have been looking elsewhere. I've found I can just as well support the local brick and mortar stores now.

Which really is the point. If you are a B&M shop owner, why should you be penalized?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I'm not sure how they calculate that. Are you paying the tax rate for the state you live in, or the state the seller lives in?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Tax is based on buyer's address. If it was based on seller's address, you'd only have to worry about one tax rate, instead of thousands.

Joe_Blough

Zipscanners has only a 14 day return period. 15% restocking fee if you return something that isn't defective. They will pay shipping back if unit is defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.