EBay WS1010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thatsclear

Premium Subscriber
I bough a Whistler WS1010 off EBay. It's asking me for a pin when I turn it on. I have never seen this happen on any scanner I have had, do all Whistler products have pins? The seller doesn't have the pin. So, did I just buy a paperweight or is there a way to find the pin? Or reset it? Thanks

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I bough a Whistler WS1010 off EBay. It's asking me for a pin when I turn it on. I have never seen this happen on any scanner I have had, do all Whistler products have pins? The seller doesn't have the pin. So, did I just buy a paperweight or is there a way to find the pin? Or reset it? Thanks

Was this scanner supposedly new? Or was it used?

If it is in fact new, try this:

https://www.getyourcode.com/#/

Hopefully, they didn't sell you a stolen scanner.

Check here also if that doesn't work:

https://whistlergroup.com/pages/helpcenter#reamaze#0#/kb/activation-code/i-purchased-a-whistler-product-from-ebay-craigslist-garage-sale-etc-that-requires-an-activation-code-what-can-i-do

Last edited:

Thatsclear

Premium Subscriber
It was used. Yeah, thanks I tried that already and it said "
Warning! The number you entered is valid, but this item was not purchased at an authorized retailer (PRODUCT WILL NOT WORK).
2 of 3 Attempts Remaining"

I hope I didn't just buy an expensive paper weight.

I will attempt to contact Whistler, and see if that works. Do all Whistler products have this? I have been scanning for 21 years and have not come across this yet. Very odd.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It was used. Yeah, thanks I tried that already and it said "
Warning! The number you entered is valid, but this item was not purchased at an authorized retailer (PRODUCT WILL NOT WORK).
2 of 3 Attempts Remaining"

I hope I didn't just buy an expensive paper weight.

I will attempt to contact Whistler, and see if that works. Do all Whistler products have this? I have been scanning for 21 years and have not come across this yet. Very odd.

I would return it immediately and get a full refund from the seller. I have heard that the PIN numbers might be used by Whistler to combat and/or track stolen merchandise. I have no idea if that's true.

It's been in effect since Whistler started selling scanners.... Primarily ones sold at Ebay, and Walmart according to Whistler's website. I don't know if it's random ones or all of them.

Last edited:

Thatsclear

Premium Subscriber
I e-mailed Whistler and they sent me the code for activation; which worked. But, does this mean this is the very first that this scanner was EVER activated?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
does this mean this is the very first that this scanner was EVER activated?
I suppose you could reset the scanner, and see if the PIN request shows up again. If it doesn't, that might indicate that it was the first time.

CycleSycho

:) OEM manufactures have 'global' resets for items that lose a trail or ownership due to various reasons. IF this scanner was reported to Whistler (and only if), it wasn't reported as an issue, they helped. They provided a solution, a 'reset' for your use. Most of the time, equipment ownership just gets lost (especially in the 'resale' market). I would not worry about it, especially if you KEEP the Whistler contacts that provided you with the 'global' reset. Have fun! :)

Thatsclear

Premium Subscriber
Yep you are correct. They said in the email it was a requirement for scanners sold at Walmart only to prevent theft and the program was cancelled only 6 months after they started selling their products there. So he said he wasn’t worried about it. He said it’s possible it was stolen but it’s also possible it wasn’t and someone just lost their code on the receipt and it was just never activated. Anyway, it’s working now. Thanks for the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.