EBRCS Site Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

officer_415

Database Admin
I think we should rename site 007 "Crane Ridge (ALCO East)". According to the project status matrix and all of the newsletters, the official site name is Crane Ridge, and that way it won't be confused with the ALCO East Simulcast cell. Any thoughts?

kma371

QRT
I think we should rename site 007 "Crane Ridge (ALCO East)". According to the project status matrix and all of the newsletters, the official site name is Crane Ridge, and that way it won't be confused with the ALCO East Simulcast cell. Any thoughts?

I sort of went over this before in your submission, but since the site covers ALCO East and isn't simulcast, I think the name is appropriate.

Otherwise someone not familiar with mountain tops won't know what area it's supposed to cover.

SCPD

QRT
If it creates confusion in the future, perhaps adding "stand-alone" to the name in some way would be helpful. "Stand-alone," of course, coming from the nomenclature EBRCSA uses to describe those sites.

officer_415

Database Admin
I sort of went over this before in your submission, but since the site covers ALCO East and isn't simulcast, I think the name is appropriate.

So if the Marsh Creek and Fire Station 53 sites are both completed, we're going to call them both "CCCO East"?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Something I did for the San Diego RCS was put a rough compass direction like (N), (SE), etc next to the site name.

I prefer the site or simul zone name. People can click on the site and get more info if they need it.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I think we should just call it "Crane Ridge." Alameda county is already specified one column to the right. mlangeveld also has a good point, because if there are multiple fill-in sites per county we can't call them both "East."

Furthermore, I think a precedent was set with the naming convention for simulcast zones vs. fill-in sites long before I became an admin. Here are a few examples off the top of my head, but you'll notice all these systems use the specific geographic site name for their fill-in sites, and a more general geographic region for their simulcast zones (since the latter are composed of multiple simulcasting sites).

Marin Emergency Radio Authority (MERA)
San Mateo County
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (P25) (also has a "Crane Ridge" site)
Orange County Countywide Coordinated Communications System (CCCS)
San Diego-Imperial County Regional Communications System
Southern California Edison (A large multi-county utility in southern CA)

6.3.3 of the DB Admin Handbook says this regarding system naming, but I think it's applicable to site naming as well:

Public safety trunked systems should generally be named after the primary jurisdiction (e.g., county) that the system covers or by the primary agency operating the trunked system. If a system has a specific “brand name” assigned (e.g., “Southeast Texas Area Radio Network”) then the specific name should always be used.

If we know enough about the system "brand name" and its official site names, which in this case we do thanks to the EBRCS newsletter, I think it is in the spirit of the DB handbook to adhere to those names as best we can. Anyone who doesn't know where "Crane Ridge" is can click on the site name, and read the general geographic area it covers in the "site details" section as well as on the coverage map.

My $0.02.

kma371

QRT
What's wrong with Crane Ridge (ALCO East)? That's the site name and the area it covers.

ALCO East (Crane)? Yeah, kind of splits the difference

Since its only a Alameda County site covering East and identifies a more specific location, Crane.

officer_415

Database Admin
I don't understand why you're adamantly opposed to including the full site name, Crane Ridge. You had the following concern:

Otherwise someone not familiar with mountain tops won't know what area it's supposed to cover.

Crane Ridge (ALCO East) includes the site name, as well as the geographic area it covers. You also didn't answer the following question:

So if the Marsh Creek and Fire Station 53 sites are both completed, we're going to call them both "CCCO East"?

kma371

QRT
I don't understand why you're adamantly opposed to including the full site name, Crane Ridge. You had the following concern:

Crane Ridge (ALCO East) includes the site name, as well as the geographic area it covers. You also didn't answer the following question:

Obviously you didn't read the post above yours where I agreed with you. You are too much. I'm not allowed to have my own opinion just like you?

officer_415

Database Admin
Obviously you didn't read the post above yours where I agreed with you. You are too much. I'm not allowed to have my own opinion just like you?

ALCO East (Crane) is not the same thing. If you agree with Crane Ridge (ALCO East), should I create a submission or will you take care of it?

kma371

QRT
ALCO East (Crane) is not the same thing. If you agree with Crane Ridge (ALCO East), should I create a submission or will you take care of it?

How are two words transposed not the same thing?

Crane ALCO east : ALCO East crane

Your being ridiculous. But oh sorry. I'm not allowed an opinion. You are.

officer_415

Database Admin
Crane Ridge (ALCO East) = Site Name (Area Covered)

ALCO East (Crane) = Area Covered (part of site name)

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. I gave you mine, and your concern was that "someone not familiar with mountain tops won't know what area it's supposed to cover." This is addressed by the fact that (ALCO East) is still included in parentheses.

You gave your opinion that the site name should be ALCO East. My concern is that if somewhere down the road we have two standalone sites in the same region, they will both be called "CCCO East". You did not address this.

The site name is clearly documented as "Crane Ridge" in all EBRCSA documents, and as Inigo stated, it is common pratice on Radio Reference to use the actual site name.

officer_415

Database Admin
kma is ultimately the admin and it's his choice. Please drop it, or create a new thread as this is now off topic.

Wayne and Inigo are also admins, and they have different opinions. They are also much more willing to work with other members and reach a compromise.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
One of the reasons I don't actively participate in the DB....

Anyhow, my opinion is the left-most portion of the site name should have the most useful information in the event it's imported and cut off. So to follow the convention I'm renaming it to "ALCO Crane Ridge (East)". If someone wants more info they can click on the site and get it.

Putting anything other than the true site name (or simul zone name) just after ALCO just does not flow right with me.

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
If it creates confusion in the future, perhaps adding "stand-alone" to the name in some way would be helpful. "Stand-alone," of course, coming from the nomenclature EBRCSA uses to describe those sites.
Anything that does not show as "Simulcast" is assumed to be stand-alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.