Echo link

285M

KC1SSG
I figured I should start a new thread for this one. What is the deal with EchoLink? I downloaded it on my phone and registered my call sign. Tried it out on the test server then I started wondering is it ok to use? I see I can connect to repeaters all over the place, including one of my clubs repeaters. Do I need any kind of permission to connect to a repeater on EchoLink? It feels like cheating to use this to me honestly! I’m not sure if I’m allowed to use it or if it’s considered bad form to use it. I don’t want to piss anyone off I’m still very new to this and was hoping to be able to connect to my local clubs repeater to ask a few questions as their website is down and other then driving 10 miles to get close enough to hit one of their repeaters I have no way to contact anyone. I cant even find out when or where the next meeting is.

If I’m asking to many questions feel free to tell me to shut up! I’m new I can’t help it!

285M

KC1SSG
I read the support section but it didn’t answer most of my questions. The repeater is the Danvers MA 145.470 NS1RA repeater. I’m asking if it’s ok to just connect to a repeater that is EchoLink compatible? I don’t know how many people an EchoLink node can support, or if it varies depending on the hardware in use? I don’t want to do something wrong here. I’m going to stay off EchoLink until I get some answers as to how proper use differs from using a physical radio to talk to a repeater. I don’t want to be “that guy” I’m trying to make a good impression with the community and I’m very nervous about trying new things like EchoLink. I understand I am not allowed to use EchoLink to listen to a repeater but there is no information as to how long I can remain on a repeater or how I can see if anyone is on it without connection to if? The only information I have is a letter from the NSRA they gave me when I took the test. It lists all their repeaters and stuff. I don’t know anyone at this club yet, I’ve talked to the president on the phone when I sighed up to take the test. I called him the day of the test as well, I get the feeling he absolutely doesn’t want any phone calls so I’m not even going to try. Seems like a nice guy but I don’t want to bother him anymore. I just want to learn more and experiment with different stuff reading up on something only gets me so far I have to try it out to truly get a feeling for it.

nd5y

Do I need any kind of permission to connect to a repeater on EchoLink? It feels like cheating to use this to me honestly! I’m not sure if I’m allowed to use it or if it’s considered bad form to use it.
If a repeater has EchoLink it is normally considered open for anyone to connect to.
EchoLink allows you to limit connections to a list of callsigns or reject (ban) connections from a list of callsigns so
if a sysop doesn't want connections from random people or needs to ban troublemakers it's possible to do that.

I don’t want to piss anyone off
Here are some things to be aware of. I don't know if it would apply to your local repeaters.

Sysops can configure EchoLink so it makes voice announcements every time somebody connects or disconnects. Some of them can get upset if people constantly connect and disconnect multiple times over and over again, even though they can disable voice announcements if they don't like it.

Normally it is perfectly ok to connect to a repeater and just listen. Some hams use their phones to listen to the local repeater all day long at work but there are a few sysops that get upset when somebody connects to their repeater and doesn't say anything.

When you connect to a repeater or link it is a good idea to wait several seconds before transmitting. There could be ongoing communications that you are interrupting and have no way to know if you can't hear the repeater before you connect to it.

285M

KC1SSG
Thanks ND5Y for the info! You have to understand where I’m coming from here. I have a license and just enough knowledge to be dangerous! 🤣

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don’t know how many people an EchoLink node can support...
You aren't actually connecting to the repeater. The repeater is connected to an Echolink node, which is virtual, and you are connecting to the node.

nd5y

I don’t know how many people an EchoLink node can support, or if it varies depending on the hardware in use?
EchoLink allows you to limit the number of connections to only one at a time or many.
If the maximum number of connections is reached the node will show "busy" in the station list or be a different color. I don't know exactly what that looks like on the smartphone app.

I don't know what the theoretical maximum number of connections is that the software will support. As far as I know the only hardware limitation would be how much memory the computer or device running EchoLink has.

Network bandwidth is the main limiting factor. Each connection takes something like 24 kbps. Any modern fiber, cable or DSL internet connection can handle a lot of EchoLink connections.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Network bandwidth is the main limiting factor. Each connection takes something like 24 kbps. Any modern fiber, cable or DSL internet connection can handle a lot of EchoLink connections.
And that's bidirectional (24 up, 24 down). Even a modest 10Mb uplink could support a few hundred connections.

285M

KC1SSG
Well thanks again for all the help I gave it a try today and it’s a neat system in my opinion. Seems like EchoLink is great thing to have in my radio “tool bag” I really appreciate everyone’s help in my impulse decision to get into amateur radio, there is a lot to explore in VHF/ UHF. I didn’t plan on doing anything in this area, my plan was to go straight into HF but I think VHF will keep me occupied for the next few weeks. I’m having a lot of fun so far!
73s and 🍻s to all.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The repeater is the Danvers MA 145.470 NS1RA repeater. I’m asking if it’s ok to just connect to a repeater that is EchoLink compatible?
-
The Danvers MA 145.470 NS1RA repeater is mostly quiet during the day, but quite active with a friendly group every night starting around 11:15 - 11:30pm.

Echolink connections and newcomers are welcome: