Echolink - basic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mak777

I've been doing some google research on EchoLink over the past few days. I'm studying for my Technician license and I've been looking at various technologies that are out there in the amateur radio world.

One thing I haven't been able to figure out, based on the wording of various websites, is how each node handles DTMF.

From what I've read, it seems that the DTMF sequences are not necessarily standard across each and every EchoLink node.

For example, if I were to key up on a repeater that is connected to EchoLink, do I have to enter a DTMF sequence to join, or does the system automatically link the input frequency to EchoLink?

Thanks in advance for any help with sorting this out.

W2PMX

Been a while since I was on EL but IIRC, unless it's your repeater, you use the repeater normally from the radio side and, from the computer side (if you decide to run the EL software and use the repeater that way) it's pretty much the same operation, but with a different PTT "switch" (you use a key on the keyboard to "transmit").

mak777

Good point, thanks. I realized after I had posted this question that it was probably in the wrong forum.

Mods - if possible, can this thread be moved to the appropriate Amateur Radio forum? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.