Eclipse visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mejnetguru

I will be coming down to the Greenville (just slightly North of mid path ) area for the 2017 eclipse. As I often do on road trips I pre-setup a virtual scanner config for the area(s) I visit. As a rule, I don't use the ZIP programming as it tends to add WAY to much from what I would actually be able to hear. I add from the DB manually to a more organized setup. I'm not familiar with the Greenville area at all so local knowledge of what is actually right there would be helpful.

Any suggestions on what to monitor during the eclipse, details would be helpful in preparing the objects in advance. Local PS, local amateur repeaters, etc. Special freqs that might be used during the time for whatever reason?

A scan of the forums leads me to believe the local PS may be in the midst of a switchover to Palmetto and as such, things may be in a bit of flux (wonderful timing)?

c4181

Feed Provider
The Palmetto 800 Motorola SmartZone system is currently being upgraded to a P25 system. It's being upgraded in chunks by Highway Patrol Troop area and the Greenville Troop was scheduled for sometime in September so that shouldn't give you any issues.

Greenville County Sheriff uses several UHF channels listed in the Greenville County Database page. I'd definitely add those in.

They're also using some talk groups on the Palmetto 800 system for various tactical things and you might hear some stuff on those while you're there.

I'd program all the SCHP Troop 3 talk groups listed on the Palmetto 800 system. I'm not sure exactly where you'll be but I'm assuming you'll probably want to program the Greenville Simulcast site and possibly the ones in the surrounding counties depending on where you are.

All the county Fire Departments use a combination of several different UHF/VHF systems. You can find information about which FDs are using what in the Greenville County Database page.

The city of Greenville PD/FD is using the Palmetto 800 system with digital talk groups and I'd program all of those as well.

There could possibly be some traffic happening on the Regional Government 3 channel and LE Common channels listed under SCDPS Mutual Aid for Palmetto 800.

If I remember correctly you should be able to get some of the Laurens County talk groups on the Greenville Simulcast site if you're interested in the surrounding counties.

That's about all I know since I don't actually live up in Greenville but hopefully, that should give a good idea of what you wanted to know.

Palmetto 800 Page: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=429
Greenville County Page: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2335
Greenville County 10-Codes: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Greenville_County_(SC)
SCHP 10-Codes: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/SC_Highway_Patrol/Department_of_Public_Safety_(SC)

raustinb88

Dito, be sure to Lock Out Gvl Buses and Gvl Trash/Waste, MedShore TalkGroups. I'm near Greenville, SC downtown and those will be too busy with irrelevant info.

peeta725

Premium Subscriber
You can just about bet that if there's an Interop channel for that region, there's gonna be traffic on it most of the day on August 21st.

So your SC Regional Government TGs, LE Common, the 8TACs, etc.

mejnetguru

As I read it, at present Greenville City uses Palmetto, but Greenville County uses (mostly) conventional channels.

I'm going to be outside city limits about halfway between Greenville and the airport so I will be mostly ignoring the city stuff. Anyone have any idea which FDs are where so I know which ones are relevant as Greenville County appears pretty large.

I'm putting in most of the EM/events and related interops on Palmetto as well as the DOT (District 3?) for the inevitable traffic jams.

Parris Mountain is the likely repeater location serving the area? Caesar's Head seems to be too far away.

Anything else?

c4181

Feed Provider
DOT channels aren't really used to my knowledge. The SHEP & SCHP channels for Troop 3 are what you'll want for traffic information.

Someone in the Greenville area might have more information about the FDs.

I believe Parker FD & South Greenville are the ones that border Greenville city but that's all I know about the area.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Boiling Springs FD is the department that serves the east side of the county just outside the city in the Pelham Road area. Greer City and Pelham Batesville FD also serve the east side of the area. Wade Hampton FD serves the area outside the city along Hwy 29 to Greer. Clear Springs FD and Mauldin FD serve the area down Woodruff Road to Five Points area.

Site 35 Paris Mtn is the Palmetto 800 site to monitor for Greenville. It's a simulcast site that covers much of the county.

Status
Not open for further replies.