ECPA 1986, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0QNB

I streaming scanner audio really legal?, I am not a legal expert by any means, but I remember reading in the communications act of 1934, that divulging anything you have heard on the "radio" is illegal, with the exception of broadcast. I take that like this, If I hear some real cool stuff on the scanner I cannot legally "tell" anyone what I have heard, but streaming scanner audio isn't really divulging the people are hearing it for themselves.

In 1986 there was a "new and improved" version made into law know as the ECPA of 1986
In looking at some resources I see the word electronic, wire, but nothing specific to "wireless"
Just in case you bet bored this weekend and are not at one of the hundreds of field day events, learning all about ham radio, take a look here , and let us know what you find out.
Cheers Ryan

jb872033

some interesting wording in there, but if you monitor

..."any station for the use of the general public, or that relates to ships, aircraft, vehicles, or persons in distress;"...

I would think that you are ok

..."by any governmental, law enforcement, civil defense, private land mobile, or public safety communications system, including police and fire, readily accessible to the general public;"...

It would seem that because of FOIA and the likes that the above are readily acessible to the general public... idk...and in terms of re-broadcasting or streaming, it seems that as long as the information was not copyrighted it would be ok...JMHO

JB

KC0QNB

Kind of the feeling I got, that reminds me, I heard that the State of California wants(ed) to make the public safety communications to be Copyrighted by the People of the state, interesting twist huh.

jb872033

well as a "people" of the state if i lived in california i wold be expecting my royalty check every month...lol....but for actual streaming i would look into FOIA and see what that says in terms of re-distributing or re-broadcasting, although i do not think it says anything....

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.