EDACS in Hampton Roads????

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpasq

Does anyone know if there is any gain in adding the new Provoice feature (for $50) for use on a 436hp in the Hampton Roads area? I could not find any systems (re:pol, Fire, EMS, etc) that use this so thought I would ask some of the forum experts if it would be beneficial to add this? Thanks in advance.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Hampton was the lone EDACS user down there, but they switched several years ago.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
And just to clarify, EDACS doesn't automatically mean ProVoice. The Hampton system was able to be monitored. There's only one ProVoice system used in Virginia right now, which is the Rockingham/Harrisonburg system.

dtscho

Database Admin
The Spotsylvania EDACS system has one or two talkgroups that are ProVoice, but most of the system is analog.

Dave

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
And just to clarify, EDACS doesn't automatically mean ProVoice. The Hampton system was able to be monitored. There's only one ProVoice system used in Virginia right now, which is the Rockingham/Harrisonburg system.

The regional system in the Lynchburg area (Lynchburg City, Amherst County & Bedford County) use both unencrypted and encrypted ProVoice for law enforcement comms on a limited basis. Usually only tactical and surveillance type stuff.

That will go away whenever they finally migrate to P-25.

br0adband

And there's always DSD+ if you want to monitor ProVoice without spending a boatload of cash to do it (no offense to Uniden) but it requires just a wee bit of effort and a computer as well as a discriminator tapped radio (unless it provides a baseband output) or an SDR device of some kind.

I'm from Portsmouth originally so I keep an eye on things back home in Hampton Roads on occasion. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.