edacs narrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

uni396xt

Hi,

I am new into trunking - I own a 396xt and while scanning the band I have bumped into a Edacs 'data sound'. I tried to set it up, but all I know is the one frequency I have scanned and that it's a Narrow type because I can see SID on my display when set to Narrow. But I don't know LCN.. Is there any way to find what I need in order to listen to? I tried to search for ID but it just keeps scanning without a beep. I am not from U.S. so no radio reference database will help me..

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
You can try and do a search for the license of the frequency you found on here for the state you live.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
License lookup is probably not available outside the US.

You will have to use brute force and luck. For EDACS systems you need to know every voice channel frequency as well as the LCN assigned to each frequency.

You might be able to use Unitrunker to at least capture the LCN's, then scan for voice traffic in the general frequency band until you catch the actual voice channel frequencies being used. Probably be good to use some logging software to catch the channels and traffic.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
Just thought by looking up frequency he might be able to at least find the system and go from there. But in my brief look-up I didn't find any edacs systems.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That would be great...but he is not in the USA so likely doesn't have any facility for looking up frequencies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
License lookup is probably not available outside the US.

You will have to use brute force and luck. For EDACS systems you need to know every voice channel frequency as well as the LCN assigned to each frequency.

You might be able to use Unitrunker to at least capture the LCN's, then scan for voice traffic in the general frequency band until you catch the actual voice channel frequencies being used. Probably be good to use some logging software to catch the channels and traffic.

In this case I would use a second radio with the search mode set to a narrow set of frequencies to see if I can catch the voice channel and note the LCN on UniTrunker at the same time. Once you get a couple of voice frequencies, you should be able to get them fairly quick, providing it's a busy system. You could get lucky and have sequential frequencies, i.e. 856.8825, 857.8825, 858.8825, etc.

uni396xt

Hi,

so what do I do now is to set the Unitrunker to capture LCNs and then try to scan around the data chanel frequency to capture some conversation? How much above/below the data chanel freq should I scan? I can use two scanners.. I just need to know where to start :)
thanks guys.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yep, Unitrunker will tell you LCNs and will also let you know when a channel is active. If you can catch the system during a slow period (when it is less likely that multiple channels will be active) you will have a better chance at mapping LCNs to the specific frequencies. As to where to look...well, there is no set rule, but in general you'll be most likely to find other channels on the system within +/- 20 MHz.

uni396xt

hi,

So finally I have set the unitrunker properly and I have found out it's a Provoice system.. Is it possible to decode that? Or should I not bother.. It still did not give me any LCN's just RIDs.. what should I do now? it seems a little complicated to me..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No scanner can decode ProVoice. There is a way to do it, but it's rather involved. Our chief developed it and it's in the wiki, somewhere....I'd have to dig a little to find it. 73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.