EDACS Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcopter1

So it's been eons since I used to monitor an EDACS systems, say back to when, a BC246XT, was the cat's meow.

Fast forward today, and am now living in an area where P25 Trunked is in use, however, I've got a couple of surrounding counties still on EDACS.

I manage to snag those with a Yagi. They're listenable albeit with some fading and noise every now and then.

Sometimes, the scanner will land on an active EDACS TG and when the transmission is over, I can hear what sounds like the control channel beeping followed by what sounds like open squelch.

It takes a while for the scanner to resume the scan.

Is there a work around this?
Is my distance and antenna combination, not up to par for what I want to hear?

The scanner is an SDS200. I've tried all manners of filters and squelch combinations.

To reiterate, the systems are very much listenable, is the occasional transmission, with above said noise, that spoils it for me.

gtaman

So it's been eons since I used to monitor an EDACS systems, say back to when, a BC246XT, was the cat's meow.

Fast forward today, and am now living in an area where P25 Trunked is in use, however, I've got a couple of surrounding counties still on EDACS.

I manage to snag those with a Yagi. They're listenable albeit with some fading and noise every now and then.

Sometimes, the scanner will land on an active EDACS TG and when the transmission is over, I can hear what sounds like the control channel beeping followed by what sounds like open squelch.

It takes a while for the scanner to resume the scan.

Is there a work around this?
Is my distance and antenna combination, not up to par for what I want to hear?

The scanner is an SDS200. I've tried all manners of filters and squelch combinations.

To reiterate, the systems are very much listenable, is the occasional transmission, with above said noise, that spoils it for me.
That’s the EDACS jingle and the scan defeat tone (noise) Unfortunately low scan makes it hard for the scanner to mute this. Some scanners preform better on EDACS than others. From my experience the GRE scanners were the best at EDACS followed by the 996 series of Uniden. The SDS does an “okay” job nothing like the older models though.

fredva

Feed Provider
I know if I didn't have an EDACS system programmed properly in my old PRO-2052 I would hear transmissions but there would be a "beep beep beep" at the end. I guess this issue is different? I've not monitored an EDACS system on my SDS. And in my case, I think the beeping was consistent on all transmissions.

I think the programming problem I had was not having all of the frequencies in the required ordered, causing the scanner not to follow the trunking properly. This could happen if frequencies got added or changed in preparation for upgrading the system to P25.

n1das

Premium Subscriber
You need to have the EDACS system programmed properly as an EDACS system being trunk tracked in order to avoid hearing the beeps and other noises. With the system programmed properly, the most you should hear when a user un-keys is a single very short peep of the first beep on the repeater tail. If the channels in the system are being scanned or searched as conventional channels, you'll hear everything on the channel including the 4 beeps and other noises on the repeater tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.