EDACS provoice decoder ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhzscan

Wow, I wasn't aware they added Provoice in the latest version. Last time I checked it was NOT supported, but the wiki now states it is. Here in Brevard County, Palm Bay PD uses it for their secondary channels. I will give it a try later on this weekend and post my findings.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Yes to all of the above. Have you read the documentation in the Wiki yet?

mhzscan

Got DSD installed on my laptop finally. I Tested the audio drivers with some provoice samples provided by another member in the DSD forum, it worked nicely. Tonight I will start testing it on the local pv system and see how it does...

mhzscan

ProVoice sucessfully decoded with DSD 1.3! in Palm Bay FL

I have successfully decoded ProVoice using DSD 1.3!!! I got a 97% rate on the voice recovery, that is not bad at all considering I was using the MIC input instead of the preferred LINE input. I tested this on the Palm Bay Police Provoice Talkgroups and it worked great! Details & info are pretty hard to find on how DSD is configured to work. The wiki doesnt really state that much and the README is very technical, even for me and im a Microsoft professional. The forums however were a bit helpful.

Soooo, basically DSD runs on Linux and decodes the digital audio on a voice channel using a discriminator tap. Its NOT decoding the control channel only the voice portion of it. The tap is connected to a computer via a LINE or MIC input. DSD and an app called Mbelib do the rest. I believe this will only work on conventional scanners and not the trunking scanners, since trunktrackers will automatically ignore provoice transmissions. Again, my understanding is that tracking will have to be done manually for now.
Also XT's C_CH feature will NOT work with DSD.

Maybe in future versions, there will be a way to get it to work with trunktrackers.
DSD looks very promising and considering its open source, I wouldn't be too surprised if Uniden incorporates this to it's future TT lineup.

Wiki Link:
Digital Speech Decoder (software package) - The RadioReference Wiki

Helpfull Forum Threads:
http://forums.radioreference.com/tr...oding/179709-dsd-1-3-mbelib-1-2-released.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/tr...505-need-help-installing-dsd-into-ubuntu.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/tr...l-speech-decoder-1-2-mbelib-1-1-released.html

Digital Speech Decoder Trunk Scanning

That's GREAT to hear you got it working!

Anyway, I used to design radio trunking controllers, so what we probably need is the following to add to DSD:

1. Controller software for trunk channel configuration and tracking channel assignments
2. Radio programming serial interfaces along with discriminator taps
3. A scanner/radio assigned for each channel
4. Audio Mixer or switcher with optional digital control.
5. And, of course, a friendly GUI to dynamically make all the changes!

For portability, we should be able to put the DSD on Linux USB as well.

-----------------
Jose Miguel

mhzscan

Jose, that sounds very interesting. Hopefully someone will come up with a working solution shortly. Im already working on installing ubuntu on a flash drive, see how that goes. Thanks

bhavenga

digital speech decoder

I was wondering if this will work on the bct346xt or RS pro 83 scanners?

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.