• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EDACS Single Site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
I am just wondering if there is a ball park estimate of setting up a single site EDACS System, it would run about 25 talkgroups and support 60 portables and and about 10 mobiles, and 2 base mobiles.
I would like to use the emergency man down function as well as a ALL CALL talkgroup that would announce over all talkgroups,
I am looking for basic EDACS functions and 2 dispatch console, what would all of the above run me for an EDACS IP system?

morganAL

There is no easy answer here. A lot of it depends on how much those portables and mobiles talk. If it isn't a lot then a 3 channel site will fit the bill. You want consoles too... Requires a CEC. Just guessing... I would say easily $250K

I am just wondering if there is a ball park estimate of setting up a single site EDACS System, it would run about 25 talkgroups and support 60 portables and and about 10 mobiles, and 2 base mobiles.
I would like to use the emergency man down function as well as a ALL CALL talkgroup that would announce over all talkgroups,
I am looking for basic EDACS functions and 2 dispatch console, what would all of the above run me for an

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
It would be single site, it's for a large manufacturing firm, i told the safety coordinator at my job i would look into the possibilities of a EDACS system, he wants radios that are durable, The P1225's we have are Crap, and we are looking for something to facilitate the needs of all the departments and administrative staff, I am not sure who makes the most durable trunking radios, but EDACS and Harris look like they make the best so far

kf4sek

Have you thought about an LTR system? You might be able to find a local LTR system that wouldn't mind adding you to their system. And, most LTR systems are for business use. I know the ones around here are used for cabs, dump trucks, cement trucks, plumbers, etc. That way, you wouldn't have to purchase the site equipment but, instead lease radios from the LTR system admin company. It might be a cheaper alternative.

davidbond21

Have you thought about an LTR system? You might be able to find a local LTR system that wouldn't mind adding you to their system. And, most LTR systems are for business use. I know the ones around here are used for cabs, dump trucks, cement trucks, plumbers, etc. That way, you wouldn't have to purchase the site equipment but, instead lease radios from the LTR system admin company. It might be a cheaper alternative.

Not to mention this avoids all the frequency licensing requirements you'd have to go through to implement your own system--that is if any spectrum is available in the first place.

K4APR

+1

LTR is your best choice for a factory setting. I came from APM Terminals (container shipping port) and we had a 5 UHF channel Passport (based on LTR) trunking system. This worked very well for our ~150 SUs and fairly busy port.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Just say no to EDACS, because it forces you to buy radios that you won't like. Frankly, other than maybe the M7100 mobile radios, I don't think they make ONE really good radio at this moment.

Go LTR, or go to an Icom dealership and get a SmarTrunk or PassPort system, for a fraction of the
cost and a much SIMPLER installation.

Elroy

K4APR

Go LTR, or go to an Icom dealership and get a SmarTrunk or PassPort system, for a fraction of the
cost and a much SIMPLER installation.

Yep, a four or five channel Passport system with Moto MTR2000 stations and HT1250LS portables. Trident "Extreme" Passport controllers are rock solid. You'll wonder how you ever got along without it :D

kg9nn

EDCAS support from Harris

Many people have speculated that EDACS will not be the darling child at Harris as it was at GE/Ericcson/MA-COM/Tyco. It's future (and support) could be limited.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I judge that to be the most likely outcome. Harris appears to have bought M/A-Com out specifically to purchase a customer base that can be upgraded to P25 standards. Harris is very much a proponent of
P25 standards and I also believe that they will in time phase out the legacy radio platforms and replace
them with radios designed by Harris' own engineering teams. This will NOT be a bad thing for quality
and reliability. Harris knows how to make a quality, reliable radio at LEAST as well as Motorola,
since the lion's share of Harris' business is military contract work.

Elroy

Status
Not open for further replies.