Edacs

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I set up a channel for EDACS and put AEP and Dow Chemical(both are standard and Dow has talkgroups),AEP has three frequencies for my area(local tower). When I do a channels scan that channel is passed over but I can do a hold on a AEP freq and hear conversation. Nothing on the Dow or it's talkgroups(or it's not being used at all :p ). I'm probably doing something wrong since I think EDACS is inputted different? I now hear tons of stuff that I've programmed in,just need to get over the hump for this one. BTW the channel is set as EDACS and all frequencies are as well(except the talkgroups,or is that necessary as well?)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I set up a channel for EDACS and put AEP and Dow Chemical(both are standard and Dow has talkgroups),AEP has three frequencies for my area(local tower). When I do a channels scan that channel is passed over but I can do a hold on a AEP freq and hear conversation. Nothing on the Dow or it's talkgroups(or it's not being used at all :p ). I'm probably doing something wrong since I think EDACS is inputted different? I now hear tons of stuff that I've programmed in,just need to get over the hump for this one. BTW the channel is set as EDACS and all frequencies are as well(except the talkgroups,or is that necessary as well?)

What scanner are you programming the AEP EDACS system in?
What AEP EDACS sites are you referring to? Ansted? Kingston?

If you'll notice, the Ansted site lists three frequencies. Although the FCC database says there are four frequencies for that site. So you may want to program them all in.

Since the Ansted site is apparently relatively new, it looks like the LCN order may not be verified. As a general rule it seems that on AEP EDACS sites they _usually_ but not always follow the order of the frequencies from LCN1 to LCNx.

I would program the Ansted site in like this for starters:
LCN1 856.4125
LCN2 856.8625
LCN3 857.4125
LCN4 858.4125

If it were on your PRO-96, id choose bank 2 as an example.
Press Manual, 201, Manual
Then press Program
Then press Trunk
Press Mode until EDACS is displayed
Press Program
Enter in 856.4125, then press Enter

Then repeat for channel 202 and 856.8625, channel 203 and 857.4125, channel 204 and 858.4125.

Obviously you'll choose a bank that is free.

If somebody hasn't previously identified all the frequencies in use and the actual LCN order, it will be hit and miss for you - the benefit is that you'll be the one who has the fun and satisfaction of verifying the system frequencies and LCN order.

If you go into Tune mode, type in 856.4125 and then hit E. If that is the site control channel, you'll hear the CC data and the scanner may display the actual LCN and the Site ID, I think something like: C:2 S:99 or something like that - which would denote that that frequency is LCN2 and the Site is Site 99, which would both be things that you'd submit to RR if you discovered them.

If you hear no control channel on 856.4125, then enter in 856.8625 in Tune mode and see if it is the control channel. Do this with all four frequencies until you find the control channel - WHen you find the control channel, note what LCN it claims to be and what the Site ID is. Then you have one of four frequencies mapped. If it says the LCN is 3, then that means it has to be programmed in as the fourth LCN.

So get started that way.

If you can manually go through the frequencies and hear conversations, then either your frequencies are not in the proper LCN order or you don't have a control channel programmed in at all - the former is more likely.

If you do not have any talkgroups added, then you'll awnt to make sure the bank is in Open mode.

To change to Open Mode
1. Press FUNC + 5 until it displays Bank Open
- if it is in Open mode, you'll hear traffic for all talkgroups.
- if it is in Closed mode, you'll only hear traffic for talkgroups that you have programmed in, and only if those talkgroups are _not_ locked out.

Mike

wvscanner

Database Admin
I havent listen to Ansted for a while but I had it as
LCN 1- 856.4125
LCN 2- 857.4125
LCN 3- 858.4125
LCN 4- 856.8625

I know freq. not numeric order. But I think this was correct or was then. Also not sure of your scanner but I was always told to program as EDAC WIDE.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I havent listen to Ansted for a while but I had it as
LCN 1- 856.4125
LCN 2- 857.4125
LCN 3- 858.4125
LCN 4- 856.8625

I know freq. not numeric order. But I think this was correct or was then. Also not sure of your scanner but I was always told to program as EDAC WIDE.

Do you know what the site ID is for that site? If so, please submit it to the RRDB. That applies to any AEP EDACS sites that you can monitor. You can see in the database that the ones that are labeled between x50 and x99 have unknown site IDs because nobody has monitored them and submitted the site ID to RR.

Thanks

Mike

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
For Win 96 I don't see the option for LCN,I'll have to find out how that's done before I decide to start over with AEP and Dow(the AEP is Ansted and Dow is South Charleston),just to show I'm doing it right. The whole bank is EDAC(no option for WIDE for programming I see either) enabled.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
For Win 96 I don't see the option for LCN,I'll have to find out how that's done before I decide to start over with AEP and Dow(the AEP is Ansted and Dow is South Charleston),just to show I'm doing it right. The whole bank is EDAC(no option for WIDE for programming I see either) enabled.

I could be wrong, but you may have to choose a single bank for the AEP EDACS and a single bank for the DOW system.. I think that's how I do it on a PRO-97 (I rarely program it). And then you'll just have to program in the frequencies (probably as wvscanner listed them because he says he monitored it before with what he believes is the proper LCN order).

Let's say you have Bank 5 free and you want to use it for the AEP EDACS

Bank 5 Tag: AEP EDACS UNCHECK closed Type: EDACS

Bank 5, Channel 01 - 856.4125
Bank 5, Channel 02 - 857.4125
Bank 5, Channel 03 - 858.4125
Bank 5, Channel 04 - 856.8625

So what you've done is set Bank 5 to EDACS, set it to Open Mode (by UNchecking Closed), and gave it the tag of AEP EDACS. Then you programmed LCN1 through LCN4 of that system into channels 1 through 4. This is what you have to do when programming EDACS on the PRO-97 - and it looks the same on the 96. If the LCN was 10, then the frequency for LCN 10 would go into Channel 10 of that bank. In this case, four frequencies, LCNs 1 through 4, programmed into channels 1 through four of that bank.

Give that a try.

Mike

wvscanner

Database Admin
mtindor,

On the scanner all I get is
Kingston SID 12
Bolt SID 24
Ansted SID 01
Flat Top SID 19

Is this what you are looking for?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
mtindor,

On the scanner all I get is
Kingston SID 12
Bo -lt SID 24
Ansted SID 01
Flat Top SID 19

Is this what you are looking for?

Indeed - so you'll get the credit, you might want to submit that info to the RRDB.

Go here: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/submit/?sid=1871

Submit that information - tell them those are the site IDs for those locations as reported by your scanner. If you have any definitive information as far as frequencies/LCNs, you should submit that as well.

I can't listen to Ansted as I'm too far away, but we all appreciate anything you can add - at least I know I do.

Thanks,

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Along with the Site IDs, please submit the actual control channel frequency (and any LCN information you have for it).

For instance, you list BOlt as Site ID 24, but the RRDB lists it as something else. So it would be helpful if you could provide the frequency of the control channel that is reporting site ID 24 (and any other sites that you can hear). That way ifnormation can be added/corrected if needed.

MIke

wvscanner

Database Admin
Along with the Site IDs, please submit the actual control channel frequency (and any LCN information you have for it).

For instance, you list BOlt as Site ID 24, but the RRDB lists it as something else. So it would be helpful if you could provide the frequency of the control channel that is reporting site ID 24 (and any other sites that you can hear). That way ifnormation can be added/corrected if needed.

MIke

Ok, you twist my arm. I will go thru them tomorrow but first. Just submit it as a 2 digit ID? I see in the current format they have it as 3 digit but I don't know which way Kingston would go. I heard Charleston and Roanoke DDC on this tower.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Ok, you twist my arm. I will go thru them tomorrow but first. Just submit it as a 2 digit ID? I see in the current format they have it as 3 digit but I don't know which way Kingston would go. I heard Charleston and Roanoke DDC on this tower.

You'll probably just need to submit them as x## (i.e. x24) - and let the maintainers decide which network they belong to. To me it would look like all four of those would belong to Network 4. And from what you're saying about hearing Charleston DDC, it sure sounds like it. You can mention in your submission that you believe they'd fit into Network 4.

In the RRDB Bolt is listed as site 406. Since you say it is site x24, then the next thing to do is compare the frequency(s) associated with the site x24 that you are listening to and see if they actually jive with the Bolt site. If they do, then then the maintainers will need to correct that one to reflect something other than site 406.

Your scanner, my scanner, none of the scanners will indicate a 3-digit site ID so it leaves guessing for somebody.

I'm glad I was able to twist your arm rofl. Like I said, I appreciate it even if nobody else does (but I'm sure they do).

Mike

wvscanner

Database Admin
WVScanner: I programmed in the Ansted frequencies and picked up traffic in Charleston,and Rainelle and around here for AEP I get a ED: number(like currently 1121) when I hear something. BlackAcid: You and Mike are listening to the WVIRP when you are listing those numbers? What do I need to add to listen on the same? it's obvious I probably don't have that in my WVIRP bank :p

I will keep my posting on AEP over here in EDAC instead of the WVIRP.
I don't know what I have done on my notes but this is what I had.

1073 Kanawha County Line Crew
1074 Charleston Meter Collection Service
1121 Raleigh/Fayette County Line Crew Ronake DDC
1122 Raleigh County Collection / Meter Service

I can't find my notes on these but I'm thinking 1122 is West from city of Beckley and one of the blanks were Beckley and east. Depending on which AEP worker is where will depend what traffic you will hear. I find out at time that I can hear dispatch calling for one person on several towers. I submit my info. the next day after my arm was twisted. Now it is up to the database person to put them in.
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.