edison twp public schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

xthe1nonlyx

anyone know what frequency the edison schools run on? the 1 listed on the site is not right.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Deleted double post.

Last edited:

GM

Premium Subscriber
Edison NJ Schools

Which school(s) are you referring to? The BOE has two repeater channels and two simplex channels. I have personally verified all of them in the database, since I got it straight from the BOE radios. I still hear them on the channels listed with no problem. The repeater is low output, so you may not be within receiving range. The main covers the entire town, while the secondary covers parts of the north end of town. I am located in the southern part, and do not receive the secondary. Besides, there's not much talk on that channel. Transportation and Maintenance uses the main channel, while the simplex channels are used at the individual schools.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Yes, if you have a scanner with the tone capability on it. Just program in the frequency of the school you wish to hear, select the particular Digital Coded Squelch tone (DPL/DCS tone) that school uses and you will hear just that school. Not all of the schools are listed yet, nor do any of them use a repeater (only the main channels are repeaterized). So, that gives you about a mile range to hear them with a stock antenna.

xthe1nonlyx

i have a radio shack pro 94 would this have the tone capability on it? if so how would i program it?

Joseph11

No, the PRO-94 doesn't do PL or DPL. You should upgrade to a PRO-97 or PRO-2055.

GM

Premium Subscriber
With the Pro-94, you'll just have to suffice with listening to the frequency only, without the tone input. It's no big deal if you have tone capability for the school system or not, since they run low-power simplex. However, if you listen to the BOE main channel(s), then you need tone capability, since there is a heavy interference from NYC.

xthe1nonlyx

edison schools

i programmed the 467.0125 freq but i cant hear anything. i live about only 1 or a little over 1 mile from the school. i have a stock antenna should i upgrade it?

Joseph11

I don't agree with what GM says about range. You need to be very close to the school to hear the operations if they're not using a repeated frequency (they're also using portables, which are low-power).

GM

Premium Subscriber
It also depends on what time of the day you are listening. Normally during lunch-time, the radios are most active, as well as at the end of the day. And again, with the range issue, you need to be close (with a stock antenna). Different parts of town also pose interference problems (elevations, buildings, etc.) that can pose listening complications, since the radios are only hand-helds running about two watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.