Edit Profile question & suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa2sqq

In the Edit Profile screen there are two options – Monitor Full Database and Monitor Search with Scan. Their default settings are both unchecked. I’m wondering if someone can explain their purpose and examples of how each could be used.

The more I use it, the more I’m realizing that Sentinel is a full featured program that’s capable of much more than is initially realized. The addition of a help file would make it so much more user friendly. Has Uniden’s management ever considered allowing users to create the help files?

Also, adding a PRINT option that would allow each favorite list to be printed, as a quick reference, would be a very nice option to add.

W6KRU

I must have different standards than the OP. I would never call Sentinel full featured. Actually it seems crippled in basic functionality. Just this morning I had to delete a FL and recreate it it due to the inability to cut a couple of new channels from the DB and paste them into the existing FL. Then I had to reassign QKs, avoids, and set the monitor flag in the profile.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm. I just did that within Sentinel.

Right Click channel in main db, selected Add to Favorites List, selected the FL that the existing system was in, and done.

W6KRU

Hmmm. I just did that within Sentinel.

Right Click channel in main db, selected Add to Favorites List, selected the FL that the existing system was in, and done.

Thanks Paul, I'll do that next time. I was looking for the more intuitive method of cutting and pasting that is used in most Windows apps?

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Sentinel -

I must have different standards than the OP. I would never call Sentinel full featured. Actually it seems crippled in basic functionality. Just this morning I had to delete a FL and recreate it it due to the inability to cut a couple of new channels from the DB and paste them into the existing FL. Then I had to reassign QKs, avoids, and set the monitor flag in the profile.

OK IMHO Sentinel is good for updating the Firmware and is a decent editor BUT I prefer ARC X86 Pro as my editor. It offers me more functionality at my finger tips than Sentinel. There are other programs out there also which I have not tried. It also depends on the preferences of the end user too. So depending what I need to do, its Sentinel and ARC Pro.

Max :cool:

W6KRU

OK IMHO Sentinel is good for updating the Firmware and is a decent editor BUT I prefer ARC X86 Pro as my editor. It offers me more functionality at my finger tips than Sentinel. There are other programs out there also which I have not tried. It also depends on the preferences of the end user too. So depending what I need to do, its Sentinel and ARC Pro.

Max :cool:

I downloaded the ARC software demo to see if it plugged some of the missing functionality in Sentinel but it seemed to do even less. I posted a question about the capabilities of ARC but I never got an answer. :(

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I can't help much with the "Monitor Search with Scan", as I do not use it. So the best I can do is copy and paste what is said on Page 66 of the manual:

Search with Scan – This is a special system that allows you to include Custom Searches and the ‘Hits with Scan’ department in Scan Mode. See also Select Lists to Monitor and Edit Custom Search.

On the Monitor Full Database, when set to On, the scanner is monitoring the full database (limited to the "stuff" that is within the Range you have set for your current location) and Favorites Lists. When set to Off (or unchecked), the scanner monitors only Favorites Lists and any searches you have created, if any.

On the software packages, they are about like any other software (word processing, photo editing, sound editing). Good and bad points to each.

I use both ARC and Sentinel. Sentinel is good at some things that ARC isn't, with ARC being better in other things than is Sentinel.

The big thing I have to remember is to keep the files coordinated. If I do something in X I need to read the scanner with Y and save the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.