Editing a CSV in LibreOffice Calc

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simpilo

I want to edit a CSV for DSDPlus file using LibreOffice Calc. I know how to use it for OP25 csv files (tsv). DSDPlus needs more attention to detail. I need to fill in columns of for example the number 2 in each row for the same column. How is this done?

Stupidfatkid

Enter "2" in the top cell of the column, click on another cell, and then click back on the cell with the "2" in it. You should now see a little black square in the bottom right corner of the cell. Hold down the Ctrl key and then click the black square and drag it down the column. It should fill in all the cells in the column with "2". If you don't hold down the Ctrl key it will increment the numbers (i.e. 2,3,4,5..) as you drag the cell down.

S

simpilo

Enter "2" in the top cell of the column, click on another cell, and then click back on the cell with the "2" in it. You should now see a little black square in the bottom right corner of the cell. Hold down the Ctrl key and then click the black square and drag it down the column. It should fill in all the cells in the column with "2". If you don't hold down the Ctrl key it will increment the numbers (i.e. 2,3,4,5..) as you drag the cell down.
Doing that for 14,000 entries ughhh! any simpler way?

Stupidfatkid

Whoa! I had no idea you were dealing with that many rows in the column. Is there a value in the column to the left of the column you're wanting to fill with "2"? If so, you can try this.

Enter "2" in the top cell of the column, click on another cell, and then click back on the cell with the "2" in it. You should now see a little black square in the bottom right corner of the cell. Hold down the Ctrl and Shift key, double click the black square in the bottom right hand corner of the cell. This will enter a "2" in every cell in the column as long as there's a value in neighboring column to the left.

Hopefully that makes sense.

S

simpilo

Whoa! I had no idea you were dealing with that many rows in the column. Is there a value in the column to the left of the column you're wanting to fill with "2"? If so, you can try this.

Enter "2" in the top cell of the column, click on another cell, and then click back on the cell with the "2" in it. You should now see a little black square in the bottom right corner of the cell. Hold down the Ctrl and Shift key, double click the black square in the bottom right hand corner of the cell. This will enter a "2" in every cell in the column as long as there's a value in neighboring column to the left.

Hopefully that makes sense.
I can do that but when I need to do it for the first column for 'DMR' I might be stuck with the previous method?

Stupidfatkid

If it's the first column (i.e. no column to the left) then the second method should still work. I believe it then references the column to the right.

S

simpilo

It worked. also I learned it's easier done in notepad. All to do is press replace DMR, 0, with DMR, 2,

Saved me a lot of time. the file actually had 141,900 DMR-MARC call signs. Can't fathom doing all those manually. Maybe be done in 5 years lol

Status
Not open for further replies.