Editing User ID's

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Or read mine - you are not going to be able to do what you want with current firmware and architecture. Uniden DMA has been pretty much like this since the beginning. I doubt if it ever changes, but who knows.

I'd like UID lockout and UID priority as well as UID hold, but that has never been available and probably won't be.

Sometimes you have to live with what the tool does. IF that won't suffice, buy a new tool.
It was only a suggestion. Noone is complaining here about it. I said to read my posts again for the fact that I've stated. Yes I know I can go in and edit IDs. However if I don't know which ID it is from the name I've given it without putting the ID in the name tag then there is no way to know which ID it is I need to change. Unless ya can change on the fly why? Because the radio knows the ID it's on I don't though unless I've put the ID in the name tag. Which I've done for some. Not all for obvious reasons.

Again, it was only a suggestion. They do take suggestions from time to time. Sometimes they do something with it sometimes they don't that's there perogative. If they do they do if they don't then so be it. But we're still allowed to offer up suggestions.

marksmith

It was only a suggestion. Noone is complaining here about it. I said to read my posts again for the fact that I've stated. Yes I know I can go in and edit IDs. However if I don't know which ID it is from the name I've given it without putting the ID in the name tag then there is no way to know which ID it is I need to change. Unless ya can change on the fly why? Because the radio knows the ID it's on I don't though unless I've put the ID in the name tag. Which I've done for some. Not all for obvious reasons.

Again, it was only a suggestion. They do take suggestions from time to time. Sometimes they do something with it sometimes they don't that's there perogative. If they do they do if they don't then so be it. But we're still allowed to offer up suggestions.
I understand your request from the first sentence of the first post.

Everyone seems to want to tell you how to do the very cumbersome manage favorites routine. I have some systems with 5000 IDs. Ever try scrolling trough 2500 ID's forward or back to get to the one you want to edit?

It would be so much nicer to press enter while the reception is active (the way you can add a radio ID on the fly) and be able to edit the ID.

It seems logical that you would be able to do this, since you can do it for TGID.

When you hit enter on an ID not already there it knows to give you the "on the fly" menu item to add the ID and enter a description.

When you hit enter and the ID is already on file it knows it because it DOES NOT give you a menu option to add it. It would be great if it gave you the submenu item to maintain that unit ID (EDIT UNIT ID) the way it does for EDIT CURRENT CHANNEL

That way the correct ID is loaded in the edit mode, and you could quickly maintain it, the same way you can add one.

Mark
SDS100&200/536/436/WS1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I understand your request from the first sentence of the first post.

Everyone seems to want to tell you how to do the very cumbersome manage favorites routine. I have some systems with 5000 IDs. Ever try scrolling trough 2500 ID's forward or back to get to the one you want to edit?

It would be so much nicer to press enter while the reception is active (the way you can add a radio ID on the fly) and be able to edit the ID.

It seems logical that you would be able to do this, since you can do it for TGID.

When you hit enter on an ID not already there it knows to give you the "on the fly" menu item to add the ID and enter a description.

When you hit enter and the ID is already on file it knows it because it DOES NOT give you a menu option to add it. It would be great if it gave you the submenu item to maintain that unit ID (EDIT UNIT ID) the way it does for EDIT CURRENT CHANNEL

That way the correct ID is loaded in the edit mode, and you could quickly maintain it, the same way you can add one.

Mark
SDS100&200/536/436/WS1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others
Thank you for understanding. That was explained nicely.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
How about those of us with NXDN trunking system that the owner programs Alias ID's, an option is created under the NXDN system option to "auto-save Alias ID"? That would be a bonus too..

marksmith

Thank you for understanding. That was explained nicely.
Just hope Upman sees it, reads it, and agrees. To those of us maintaining ID descriptions on the radio this is an obvious missing feature.

I also log and describe ID activity in bulk using Unitrunker and then massage the exported data and paste it to the various software such as Sentinel, but being able to do direct on the fly entries to the radio would still be the most enjoyable way.

Since the firmware is already doing the heavy lifting work to determine if an active ID is set up in the radio files and giving you the on-the-fly menu if not, it would seem easy to take that active ID and throw you to the edit option that already exists, just like it throws you to the on-the-fly add menu if it's not there.

Mark

marksmith

Perhaps this thread should be moved into the tech support forums instead of software. Something like this would likely be a firmware suggestion.
Good point. Don't want to create any duplicate threads. If a moderator agrees, maybe it will get moved there.

Mark

kittrav

Premium Subscriber
You can't do exactly what you want because you can't hold on a UID, you are holding on a channel/system or editing a channel and UID is a layer or sub of that system.
Can you expand on this?

Perhaps related to the initial poster's request, I would like the UID to remain on screen if I press HOLD, to at least give me time to write down the UID.

I've discovered that using replay, the UID I saw on screen during the transmission sometimes doesn't display. I've also discovered that using replay, sometimes the UID and my alpha tag are "one transmission" behind. Perhaps this is because I have over 2,000 UIDs programmed, or perhaps because the SD HC memory card's speed is not fast enough.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Can you expand on this?

Perhaps related to the initial poster's request, I would like the UID to remain on screen if I press HOLD, to at least give me time to write down the UID.

I've discovered that using replay, the UID I saw on screen during the transmission sometimes doesn't display. I've also discovered that using replay, sometimes the UID and my alpha tag are "one transmission" behind. Perhaps this is because I have over 2,000 UIDs programmed, or perhaps because the SD HC memory card's speed is not fast enough.

At present, there is no way to hold on a UID. My experience with replay, UID are seldom correct. However, the recordings are correct, though for some reason a tint percentage may have none.

I have close to 1000 UIDs. I am currently using a SDS100 to record and ID unknowns and corrections. I formerly used a HP1, both seem to work the same. I do NOT use replay of recordings in the scanner, but I'd think regular recordings display OK. (I export to the PC and use MediaMonkey).

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I collect UIDs like stamps. I would like the ability to edit an UID on the fly. Would be very helpful..yes.

kittrav

Premium Subscriber
At present, there is no way to hold on a UID. My experience with replay, UID are seldom correct. However, the recordings are correct, though for some reason a tint percentage may have none.

I have close to 1000 UIDs. I am currently using a SDS100 to record and ID unknowns and corrections. I formerly used a HP1, both seem to work the same. I do NOT use replay of recordings in the scanner, but I'd think regular recordings display OK. (I export to the PC and use MediaMonkey).
The tiny percentage of REPLAY recordings with no audio may have been LINK transmissions, Mobile Data Terminal digital bursts.

bearcat

If I have 4 radio IDs show up and they're labelled as follows.

3Sierra
3Sierra
3November
3November

and one of the Sierra's was labelled wrong and is supposed to be a 3November. How do I know which one to go in and edit?

I can't cause I don't know which one it is. Remember I probably have a few of these all labelled the same. But one of them is wrong. The radio knows which is which. But I don't. I wanna be able to change it on the fly when it shows up. And be able to change it in the advanced channel menu.

Of course you won't be able to change it if it's not actually on screen and active. But when it is. This could be an option to do.

I know I can go in and change IDs. But even then I don't know which one to change. Cause for one, once you label it the actual ID doesn't show up on screen. Not unless you've labelled it with that particular ID in the name tag.
Very Simple Fix. Just add the RID# to the text tag. That way if two or more RIDs endup with the same name you can see the actual RID# assigned to it.
3Sierra (1234567)
3Sierra (9876543)
Then once you determine which is which you can delete the RID# from the text field. Personally I just leave the RID# in the the text tag.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Very Simple Fix. Just add the RID# to the text tag. That way if two or more RIDs endup with the same name you can see the actual RID# assigned to it.
3Sierra (1234567)
3Sierra (9876543)
Then once you determine which is which you can delete the RID# from the text field. Personally I just leave the RID# in the the text tag.
I do that already. But that is not possible all the time due to limitations in the amount of characters one can use.

That does help yes. To go in and edit later. However if I don't know the actual ID then I don't know which one to change if the tags are the same name without the extra ID in the name.

The fix we're looking for though. Is to edit the ID just like ya can with a talkgroup on the fly especially when we don't know the ID. But the radio does.

I've explained this situation a few times now in this thread. Some of us get it. Some don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.