Edmonton Fire Radio gone from BBScanner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdmFireman

Hey everyone.

I'm hoping you can help me, as my favorite scanner, Edmonton Fire Radio, is no longer listed in BBScanner. And what makes this worse, I heard it's because RadioReference wanted to add ads to the their live feed! What gives??? I understand you guys get a large bill every month from hosting, but adding ads to a feed is not fair to users and volunteers of your service.

I'm a paying customer of the BBScanner, and really upset that RR would do this. :(

SCPD

QRT
Hey everyone.

I'm hoping you can help me, as my favorite scanner, Edmonton Fire Radio, is no longer listed in BBScanner. And what makes this worse, I heard it's because RadioReference wanted to add ads to the their live feed! What gives??? I understand you guys get a large bill every month from hosting, but adding ads to a feed is not fair to users and volunteers of your service.

I'm a paying customer of the BBScanner, and really upset that RR would do this. :(

Yep!!! Seen this type of BS going on for months now. It appears RR is a business for profit, no longer a community to share and enhance the enjoyment of the hobby. With Uniden and GRE now paying royalty to the owners for frequency data from guys like me have submitted is totally wrong.

As for Edmonton Fire Radio streaming, hat's off to the site owner. Edmonton Fire Radio is one the few quality and consistant broadcasters on the net. I found the majority of the other streamers quality and content is crap.

Last edited:
To continue listening to EFR on your BlackBerry go to www.edmontonfireradio.ca . It should launch the built in media player and allow you to listen again on your device.

As for the ads, they have ever right to do so. RR is a business and as a business they need to make money in order to keep that business going. I can understand where they are coming from. Running a server brings with it a bill every month. If they don't pay that bill then everyone is out because they can't listen to the feed that interests them.

In our particular case, we already pay for a server and RR would relay that audio feed from our server to listeners on their site. Since we are already paying the cost for a server and the majority of people that would listen to EFR use our server, it really didn't make much sense for us to continue the relay and put potential revenue into the pocket of RR. We still feel that RR provides a very good resource in terms of forums, a database, etc.

We don't have any hard feelings toward RR and are glad that they are around for people to use if they need it. We just don't feel that RR should make money from the bill that we pay for our audio server every month.

I hope this helps to clear things up a bit as to the reason for our dropping the relay.

By the way, I am not sure if BBScanner will let you add your own feeds in the software, but if you can here are the direct links to listen:

Winamp: http://cast.sc9.shoutcaststreaming.us/tunein.php/c9006/playlist.pls

Windows Media Player: Edmonton Fire Radio

Real Player: http://cast.sc9.shoutcaststreaming.us/tunein.php/c9006/playlist.ram

QuickTime: http://cast.sc9.shoutcaststreaming.us/tunein.php/c9006/playlist.qtl

If the makers of BBScanner would like to add our feed back into their software they are more than welcome to do so. I believe someone has already sent them an email requesting the feed be added back in but as of this morning I am not sure what the status is of that request.

EdmFireman

The reason I even registered for BBScanner in the 1st place was because of Edmonton Fire Radio. And now, without EFR even been there, I don't see point of even having it. Sure, there are other quality sources, but EFR let me keep up with what's going on in my hometown. Thanks for the links EFR, and I'll definitely be listening. :)

brechtd and EdmFireman, thank you for the kind comments about our feed. We have gotten an amazing amount of support from members of the public that enjoy being able to take a virtual ride along with the department as they serve our community, members of the EFRS as well as departments from across Canada and The States that enjoy listening to the feed during their time off. We have even heard from members of the news media that listen to the feed while they go about their day.

We have gotten a few negative reactions to the feed being made available. But over all the response has been a good one. Our goal is to be able to provide quality audio 24/7. Whenever someone wants to listen, we want them to be able to find the feed online. It can be very frustrating for a user to go to a feed when something is happening only to find it offline.

We appreciate everyone that enjoys the feed and if anyone has any feedback or suggestions we are always willing to listen to whatever you have to say. Also if anyone is on FaceBook and would like to check out our fan page, it can be found at Edmonton Fire Radio | Facebook .On the FB page you'll be able to talk with other listeners and department membeers. Everyone is welcome.

Stay safe, everyone.

Jeff & Lana
Edmonton Fire Radio

EdmFireman

Hey Everyone.

I figured out a solution so that we can add EFR to our BBScanner app. BBScanner also allows users to add custom scanners, which is a very simple process. Just go to Custom Scanners, and it'll ask you for the URL of a playlist so it can add the scanner to your list. I used http://cast.sc9.shoutcaststreaming.us/tunein.php/c9006/playlist.pls and it worked perfectly, so give it a try!

Glad to be able to still use my BBScanner, as I really do love that app. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.