Edmonton scanner makes the paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
The thing I find interesting is that they are doing installs of Ham equipment for trucking companies. Last I was aware ... it was illegal for ham gear to be used on commercial frequencies.

SCPD

QRT
The thing I find interesting is that they are doing installs of Ham equipment for trucking companies. Last I was aware ... it was illegal for ham gear to be used on commercial frequencies.
Probably miss-quoted "ham radio equiptment for trucking companies" look at the source, its the media!!!

SCPD

QRT
This is great to read about Rob and Denise. I wish we could see more media coverage like this. Good people with a love for radio.:lol:

Talk about 15 min of fame. It isn't often that us scanner fans are mentioned in the media.

ZG

Thanks for posting the link to this story,Harry.
This is great to read about Rob and Denise. I wish we could see more media coverage like this. Good people with a love for radio.:lol:

Quick question, and maybe somebody here knows, but what is Rob Duerr's callsign? The article hits on him being a but amateur radio operator a couple of times, but a RAC/IC search shows no callsign with Duerr as a last name at all.

VA6ZG

ZG

Thanks for the address harry, but no luck at all on the address search, and I searched for all "Rob" in Edmonton, which brought up many, but none of them were for a Duerr or the address.

Mobile_1, you seem to know these people well, what is Rob Duerr's callsign?

ZG

ZG

So I just got an email that somebody has talked to this Rob Duerr guy, and he does not have an amateur license... Hmmm... He talks about talking on the amateur bands, has his photo taken with a Yaesu Ft-897 microphone in his hands and he does not have a license...

Excuse me if I don't act surprised that this guy turns out not to be a real upstanding by the book sort of type...

What is it with some people that just can't get it together to follow the rules even a little?

Quote: "He then goes home and, you guessed it, listens to police scanners or talks on his ham radio with other guys who, often as not, also listen to police scanners."

I love this quote: "On these, I can talk to people all over the world," Duerr says of the transceivers.

Or this one made me almost wet myself "In a way, Duerr is like a modern-day Diogenes in search of one honest man."

He will have to search a long time and not look in the mirror.

ZG

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Ham radios in trucks

I see their store web site also lists a number of Amateur Radios, Kenwoods, Yaesu, Icom. He works and installs these in trucks?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

robertmac said:
I see their store web site also lists a number of Amateur Radios, Kenwoods, Yaesu, Icom. He works and installs these in trucks?

Last time I was in the store they were advertising kenwood ham mobiles that were programmable with out copmputers...

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Vhf. They have a big poster about the TM-271 and that is is keyboard programable, and does not need software. The article in the Edmonton Journal is a BIG slap in the face to Ham Radio. Espcially considering he is not licensed, and how piss poorly the artical was written

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Write a letter to the editor with the facts of the story, and how the paper was used. And write another letter to IC informing them of possible unlicensed operation.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I say possible unlicensed operation, because until/unless Mr. Duerr is recorded operating on the air without a license, it can't be proven that he is.

SCPD

QRT

I say possible unlicensed operation, because until/unless Mr. Duerr is recorded operating on the air without a license, it can't be proven that he is.

Apparently Mr Duerr was confronted about his operation on Amateur frequencies, and he admitted that he does not have an amateur license.

I have received this information from a 3rd party so I cannot confirm whether this information is accurate or not.

So hopefully in time he will write his exam and get licensed, which I think is the goal here.

VE3RADIO

Write a letter to the editor with the facts of the story, and how the paper was used. And write another letter to IC informing them of possible unlicensed operation.

Tattle Tale...

Watch out for the HAM police ...MANY of the hams out there make mistakes that are technically breaking the law too... For example I hear hams in the Toronto area speaking in Spanish on a daily basis... according to IC you may only use English or French.. My point is if your going to make a point of calling IC then do it on everyone for every mistake including your own.. have you not ever talked longer than 15 minutes without saying your call sign? The HAM industry is self regulated and I know as a tax payer I would be pissed if any IC resources were spent tracking down someone on an amateur band that was not causing malicious interference.

My guess is that if he is using a radio without a license he is probably not bothering anyone.. I highly doubt this guy is maliciously interfering with any repeater. I am not saying it makes it right...

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you turn yourself over to the OPP next time you fail to signal a lane change:) I think this is more a case of impaired driving compared to a minor infraction. I do agree some of the regs are departed from. In this case I don't think IC will have to spend much time as they've got or will have all the evidence on a Silver platter. Bust could be front page of the Industry Canada newsletter.

Status
Not open for further replies.