Edwardsburg, MI - 2 accused of using police scanner, two-way radios in $13,000 heist

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Armed bank robbery. I think using a scanner is the least of their worries.

Kinda like shooting someone then running a stop sign during the getaway.

The article mentions scanners and radios in the title then gives no details. Sounds like anti-scanner hype to me.

rapidcharger

There's nothing new about using scanners to listen out for where the police are in the process of committing a crime. But it's shown time and time again to be ineffective at not getting caught and $13000 is chump change compared to the public safety hazard of not being able to listed to what's going on and having a police department like mine that doesn't communicate with the public either.

DPD1

Considering that radios play such a big part in collecting their news, you'd think the media wouldn't go out of their way to bring negative attention to them. But then again... #1 Most media outlets barely even collect their own news anymore, and #2 The media outlets are so desperate to fill their websites with any content they can find, they'll post just about anything.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Considering that radios play such a big part in collecting their news, you'd think the media wouldn't go out of their way to bring negative attention to them. But then again... #1 Most media outlets barely even collect their own news anymore, and #2 The media outlets are so desperate to fill their websites with any content they can find, they'll post just about anything.

Spot on.

The media in my market hardly pay any attention to the scanners anymore. Most just wait for the department to send out a press release.

I updated programming for a station after they noticed they weren't hearing a particular agency. Come to find out they still had the programming to a system the agency left over four years earlier.

You'd think you notice that you haven't heard the largest city in your coverage area after a few hours..

12dbsinad

Took the words right out of my mouth

D

DaveNF2G

Media companies believe they are totally shielded by the First Amendment and will always be able to find out what is really going on no matter what the agencies do about communications. Until they get locked out.

jparks29

John McClane
Media companies believe they are totally shielded by the First Amendment and will always be able to find out what is really going on no matter what the agencies do about communications. Until they get locked out.

When a gov't starts hiding things from its own people, it's never good.

w2txb

When a gov't starts hiding things from its own people, it's never good.
Exactly. They will justify it by saying they have nothing to hide, but will still hide what they are doing. Worse yet, much of the public believes it and accepts it.
The idjits of Gannett even write in their newspapers, "according to scanner reports, ..."

matt-KD0LVH

Premium Subscriber
Say it isn't so!

Wow, so you guys are saying a couple of fine upstanding young citizens used a police scanner and two-way radios to commit a crime? That is so genius. I'm certainly glad this new 'radio' technology hasn't been available since the 70s or even before. If it was, our whole society would be complete chaos!

SCPD

QRT
Media always cover the criminals using scanners in the commission of a crime but NEVER do they make mention of the Organized criminal Networks using POLICE RADIOS to traffic drugs or operate counter surveillance in dope neighborhoods. In Dallas, Boost Mobile was the prime radio/phone of drug dealers operating along Forest Lane because of the iDEN encryption and the fact that LE had to obtain a court order to monitor it. FRS and GMRS commonly turn up on search warrants of drug houses and some criminal enterprises really use local LTR systems and REAL two way radios to further their operations but you NEVER hear that in the news, just the guys with Scanners .....

Status
Not open for further replies.