• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EF Johnson 5100 programming Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowdyonegh

I have a EF Johnson 5100 Asend ES 700/800 MHz portable. I'm getting an error I've not seen before in trying to program. The firmware that came installed is 6.16.10. It had a password on it for the codeplug and I used PC Tune to remove the password. I then loaded a codeplug I am using on another 700/800 MHz radio with firmware 6.16.3 (and is working fine) and now I just get on the screen of the new radio "FF Upgrade" and a blinking amber light. It doesn't display the firmware version anymore when turning it on, just straight to "FF Upgrade" I can read the code plug from the radio and it is correct. I've not seen this error before. I've tried to use PC Issue and I can pull all the features that are on the radio, but none of that seems to matter.

I tried to run a firmware update on the radio but it asks for a password, which I don't have - so I don't think that's going to be an option.

I'm kind of at a loss on what happened here. The working code plug I had on it, I was not familiar with and did not back it up - but I did tried to load a blank code plug on the radio and I get the same message.

Any help would be appreciated.

Glenn
KE8JCH

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
password for the firmware updater is huskers

rowdyonegh

That password worked! Thank you, I will flash the radio and see if I can get anywhere with it.

Much appreciated! Thank you!

Glenn
KE8JCH

rowdyonegh

Ok, so I tried the firmeware updater, and I get to the part that it says "Code download timed out or canceled by users" It extracts all the files but fails to upload the files. Still see FF Upgrade on the screen of the radio.

1. I opened PC Tune 3.0.21 again, and selected Read Tune Parms and it reads the information.

2. I selected Reset Radio and it reboots the radio - FF upgrade still showing on the screen.

3. I select tools in PC tune and Reset Passwords - Screen Changes to Parms Error - When the radio boots up I see Firmware version again - but now the screen shows Parms Fail.

4. I tried the firmware updater again, and it just times out. Using a direct serial port connection, not an adapter.

In PC Configure 2.18.2 I read the version information from the radio and it says the following:
File format version: 5.11
DSP Software Version 4.22.1
Controller Version 6.16.10
Hardware Revision: Not Applicable
Boot Load Version 6.7
SEM Version: Not Applicable
CPLD Version: Not Appicable
EEPROM Version 1.0

I guess with not being able to flash this radio- There's really not much hope for it, I guess? I'm not understanding why "reset Passwords" creates a Parms Fail screen and loading a code plug creates an FF upgrade screen.

If anyone has a guess, please feel free to throw it out there, as I'm out of options. I was just trying to create a little UHF scanner for my friend.

Glenn
KE8JCH

fczheng88

I just came across this issue as well and none of PCTune or PCConfigure's options could resolve the issue. But, I flashed a lower firmware (6.16.03), then the updated one (6.16.10), and it seemed to work. Note that I did so after clearing the parameters via PCTune, so I'm not sure if that factors in as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.