• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EF Johnson 5100 Programming Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

WYDOR

Premium Subscriber
I'm having a difficult time reading the programming software manual and could use some help. Could someone send me a file which contains conventional and P25 trunking frequencies with sites and TGs? perhaps looking at that will help me understand how to use the software and set up my radio.

The correct programming software called PCC depends on the firmware that is loaded in your particular radio, you will need to post the firmware version.

jim202

As many people have said over the course of time, conventional channels are fine to be programmed by the novice person. However, I will stand my ground and say that trying to play with trunking channels will cause problems real fast.

The reason I say this is that if you have to ask how to program trunking, you don't belong there in the first place. Setting up trunking in a radio generally will require a software key for the3 EFJ 5100. You will also need to know many of the settings to complete the programming. The radio systems manager is the holder of the system key you will need to program the radio.

With that said, the 5100 can be programmed to not affiliate and not transmit on the trunking system. But you need to know how to program the radio with the software in order to stay out of legal troubles.

The questions here to be asked are:
1. Do you have the programming cable to go between the 5100 and the computer?
2. Do you have the correct software version to match your radio in order to change the radio channels?
3. Do you understand the different settings that the radio needs to be programmed?
4. Do you have the different channel information needed to program them into the radio? Like RX frequency, tone squelch information, narrow band or wide band operation. If your authorized to transmit, do you have the TX frequency and the required tone squelch?

You can set up scan in the 5100, but there are limitations on how it will work.

Not trying to be difficult, but there is a number of things that are needed to program any radio. Not trying to be a legal enforcer, but you will find many on the board here that will bring out the legal problems about using one of these commercial radios without a license or letter of authorization.

Putting these radios on ham frequencies is about the same hassle, but the license problem is of much less a problem. If you have a ham license, it generally will cover the use of the radio on the ham frequencies.

Hope this provides a little help in your quest to program the 5100 radio.

general22

HI all. I could use some help if anyone knows ? I was programming my EF 5100 VHF. It was done by me before and all was ok. Then i read the radio again. and when i went to reprogram it. Nothing happened. The the next thing i know it. I turn radio off and it stills shows my sim channel and now will do nothing? Buttons dont even work. I took the battery of then it will shut off. Put the battery back on ,Powers up ok but does same thing. Now if i got to read the radio now. It just keeps poping up radio communiction error . Dont know what to do :( Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.