• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EF Johnson VHF FPP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcu02mpa

i am quite proficient with FPP Motorola but am a total noob with the EFJ 5100 radios. I have a recently acquired VHF model three and can navigate through the FPP but seem to be missing the last step So the changes take. I can’t get the confirmation tone like the YouTube video shows and I can’t see what button he is pushing to do that. Can someone guide me through this? This is a pretty sweet radio if I can get this to work

Thanks

wcu02mpa

Got it figured out. For those who don’t know. You have to take the spacer all the way to the end and it will enter it. Now I now !

wcu02mpa

So now it has another weird issue. This is a VHF unit, 5100 model three with version 1.18.15. I know this uses the 1.28.0.8 software. The weird thing is I try and read with it and the radio powers down and then back on. I can read the radio fine with a higher version of software like 2.18.2 and the radio does not power cycle. That version of software won’t let me write to it (this I knew). Any 5100 users ever seen this? Battery is fully charged. Using windows XP and factory serial cable.

ergbert

I haven't plugged any of my 5100's in recently, but don't they always power cycle on read and write? Mine are UHF 5100ES on firmware 6.16.04 though... I use an aftermarket ebay cable with an FTDI USB-serial chipset.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I use a true serial cable from KawaMall with Windows XP and 2.18.2 and have no issues with any programming. Mine do not power cycle. I have several older radios, both EFJ and other brands, and most of them do not like any kind of USB connection or newer version of Windows beyond XP.

wcu02mpa

So without the software it seems I can edit the scan list, but not add a scan list. with FPP can I change from analog, digital and mixed mode?

ergbert

It appears (based on my PC Configure manual, section 11, pg 276. PDF found online somewhere and covers version 6.x, file format 5.10) that the "TX Type Sel" option is available, if the channel you wish to use FPP on is programmed as mixed mode. If it's not specifically set to mixed mode, only the options pertaining to either analog or digital are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.