• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EFJ 5100ES bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

ergbert

Thanks to the wonderful internet junkyard that is eBay, I just got my hands on an EFJ 5100ES limited-keypad model, in UHF-380 split. Wow what a brick, I think that in an emergency it could double as a bludgeon! Works well despite a tweaked antenna, but I've found a source for replacements. Having much less luck sourcing a cover for the speaker mic/programming port. I don't have a speaker mic, and my OCD doesn't think that bare contacts are great in outdoor usage.

Does anyone out there have a source for these covers, or have a few floating around a drawer somewhere? Not looking for a handout or freebies, just a source. Local radio shops have been less than helpful, especially for older models like this.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Try one for th3e Motorola XTS 3000 series. I also have the EFJ-5100, and use the same cover on mine. Most batteries are also interchangeable, although a couple I have don't fit the EFJ. My EFJ outperforms the Moto on P25 simulcast

ergbert

Thanks! The XTS covers certainly seem plentiful. I mostly got mine to play with P25 on 70cm... Climbing the learning curve now.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Motorola antennas will work on your EFJ.

Or just contact an EFJ/Kenwood dealer and get a new antenna.

We used 5100's for a few years on my trunked system. They were good radios and much easier to program than Motorola's. I've still got a few kicking around in a box.

ergbert

So far I really like it. The user interface seems to be pretty well thought out even for a limited-key version, and the amateur world could take a lesson from the sheer user friendliness of the FPP implementation. It’s reinforcing my preference for repurposed commercial equipment in the amateur bands....

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It’s reinforcing my preference for repurposed commercial equipment in the amateur bands....

Yep, got rid of all my amateur only gear many years ago. All my personal stuff is Motorola and a few Kenwood's thrown in. Memory capacity is enough that not having a VFO doesn't matter. I have plenty of room to program in everything I need as well as all the simplex frequencies. FPP makes changes easy if needed. Receivers are often much better. Some of the feature sets on commercial gear is much better than the ham stuff. On the mobiles, an ignition sense controlled power is a nice setup.

Have not missed any of my amateur rigs since I sold them.
Plus, at work, I can use them on my Part 90 frequencies legally and without modification.

ergbert

I got my EFJ cable from ebay seller KJ6ZWL. Flawless, and much cheaper than the EFJ one...think it was $29 or so. Firmware flashes just fine. However, my radios (I have acquired a few more just recently) did not cost me anywhere near $2500, and don't belong to anyone else, so if I bonk one I'll chalk it up to a learning experience and move along. But, I am not a career radio person, just a hobbyist.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have successfully flashed several EFJ 5100s with the kawawall cable. I use a Windows XP compter with a true serial port, not a USB to serial adapter. You might also have good luck with 32 bit Windows 7, but stay away from 64 bit machines on the older radios.

ergbert

I'm actually using an old Asus machine, running Windows 10, 64bit, and an FTDI USB-serial cable. Not a hitch. Just as a data point...

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I've been using a kawa serial cable for years on the efj's and have yet to brick one. Those are pretty robust radios and the price is right on them. If you don't need a lot of bells and whistles they are a rock solid rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.