• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EFJ-5100ES Keyloading w/KFDtool

Status
Not open for further replies.

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to confirm that the KFDtool will keyload AES and DES in the EF-Johnson 5100ES. For the XTS hirose adapter, pins 9 and 4 must be shorted. It will continue to work on XTS radios after the mod.

KJ4RVE

KFDtool author here (duggerd elsewhere)

The offical list of compatible/tested radios is here (please get in touch if you have tested something not on the tested compatible list):

Here's also instructions on modifying the Motorola NTN8613C Hirose adapter for use with Motorola and EFJ radios:

This is possible, though it has some side effects. I performed the following on a NTN8613C XTS to Hirose adapter.

#1 - audio accessories will continuously transmit when used with the adapter (OPT_SEL1 is pulled low by the audio accessory but OPT_SEL2 is tied low all the time)
#2 - this may trigger the man down function as OPT_SEL2 is tied low all the time even when CTS is not pulled low (CTS low = keyload mode for Motorola, pulled low by KVL/KFDtool)
#3 - for EFJ radios, you need to connect the adapter to the Hirose cable and the KVL/KFDtool first, then connect to the radio. If you connect the adapter to the radio first and then connect the Hirose cable it will not work. This is because multiple pins need to be asserted simultaneously for the EFJ radio to go into keyload mode.

Here's a truth table I found in a service manual showing the OPT_SEL1 and OPT_SEL2 states:

xts_accy_opt_states.png

You will need to bridge two of the connections from the Hirose connector per this image (shorts OPT_SEL2 to GND):

ntn8613c_efj_mod.jpg

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber

The offical list of compatible/tested radios is here (please get in touch if you have tested something not on the tested compatible list):

Here's also instructions on modifying the Motorola NTN8613C Hirose adapter for use with Motorola and EFJ radios:

This is possible, though it has some side effects. I performed the following on a NTN8613C XTS to Hirose adapter.

#1 - audio accessories will continuously transmit when used with the adapter (OPT_SEL1 is pulled low by the audio accessory but OPT_SEL2 is tied low all the time)
#2 - this may trigger the man down function as OPT_SEL2 is tied low all the time even when CTS is not pulled low (CTS low = keyload mode for Motorola, pulled low by KVL/KFDtool)
#3 - for EFJ radios, you need to connect the adapter to the Hirose cable and the KVL/KFDtool first, then connect to the radio. If you connect the adapter to the radio first and then connect the Hirose cable it will not work. This is because multiple pins need to be asserted simultaneously for the EFJ radio to go into keyload mode.

Here's a truth table I found in a service manual showing the OPT_SEL1 and OPT_SEL2 states:

View attachment 85402

You will need to bridge two of the connections from the Hirose connector per this image (shorts OPT_SEL2 to GND):

View attachment 85403
That method would have been much easier than physically bridging the pins via the pin solder pads. I could only find this on the KVL cable adapter and not the hirose adapter. Thanks for this!

ergbert

Saving this thread... got a bunch of EFJ 5100's and just waiting on the KFDTool to be off backorder. Thanks for the clarification, guys!

ergbert

Today the final piece of my puzzle arrived... now I've got my KFDtool, hirose cable, and NTN8613C adaptor. Next, warm up the soldering iron and mod the adaptor. Thanks again, KJ4RVE!

DeoVindice

P25 Underground

View attachment 85402

View attachment 85403

Thanks for the guide! My KFDTOOL and Hirose pigtail finally arrived today, no thanks to USPS. The solder bridge worked perfectly and my 5100s all have a key loaded now.

I'm considering adding a few 5300s as well - I presume the testing mentioned was done with a homemade Hirose-5300 mic cable?

KJ4RVE

I'm considering adding a few 5300s as well - I presume the testing mentioned was done with a homemade Hirose-5300 mic cable?

Looking back at the email that put the 5300 on the KFDtool tested compatible list it was an OEM EFJ Motorola KVL keyload cable for a 5300 that was modified for use for the KFDtool. I'm not sure if it was used with a standard or lightning control head. From my notes the EFJ KVL cable P/N for the standard CH is 585-5000-938 and the lightning CH is 585-5000-93902. I'm not sure what the pinout is for either of those cables - let me know if you find out!

Status
Not open for further replies.